Decorating a Metal Garbage Can - Categories:

AdviceCrafts

Decorating a Metal Garbage Can

Question:

I am looking for a way to decorate a metal garbage can. i have a friend who received one a few years ago as a gift, it was painted like an apple tree. i don't know what type of paint to use or how to finish it. Her garbage can has a very shiny finish, we assume to be varnish but are not sure.

Thanks, Grammyx3

Answers:

Metal Paints and Stenciling

If you go to a paint/hobby store and tell them what you want to do...they will show you the metal paints that they carry. IMPORTANT..the metal garbage can you buy..clean it well with a 50/50 vinegar/water solution first to get any residue off of it. Metal paints can be bought in the 2 oz. size. Since you have not done much painting before by the sound of your posting...why not do some stenciling on the garbage can? Michael's and other craft/hobby stores carry some wonderful stencils. I believe that the metal paints are self sealing which means that you would not have to varnish overtop of your painting later. Check it out and have fun. Why not post a picture of your garbage can, all painted up, for all of us to see later on?

By valleyrimgirl

Decorating With Magnets

I have decorated the metal can in my duck themed bathroom with duck and daisy magnets. You could also use window clings.

By Camalama

Paint your House Number

I painted our house number on our metal door & our address on our metal mailbox with metal paint that I purchased at Wal-Mart. They didn't need any special treatment other than cleaning before painting. I painted them several years ago & they are still holding up well. They are both exposed to the elements (heat, humidity, cold, snow, ice). You can also buy stencils or stencil plastic & cut your own stencils. In one of my craft books there are directions for doing decorative painting on metal mailboxes. They used regular acrylic paint, but used a primer for metal surfaces.

By Debbie in MO

Answers

Crafts AdviceFebruary 5, 2005
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Cleaning Metal
Cleaning Metal
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 22, 2016 at 7:36:09 PM on 10.0.2.35 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.