Vintage Items as an Investment

Way before vintage was such a big "industry" I have loved old clothes, jewelry, furniture, and other collectibles! There are many advantages to buying/using vintage items. One is the quality of the item (better quality items last longer) and the interesting style options available at a reasonable price. But don't forget another benefit, "resale"!

You can have those items, use them,then pass them on. This is easier and easier now that you can selling vintage on eBay or even Etsy. It's quite likely you will turn a profit; some of my furniture is has been zero sum since I could easily get as much for those pieces as I had paid for them. This means I used the items for years, gratis. How often can you say that about something from Target or even Ikea? My vintage jewelry collection is something that I can sell off in my old age, when I am no longer wearing any of it and that's a comfort!

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

I am still living the vintage from years ago! We grew up waiting for the boxes to arrive from the cousins. We thought they dressed really cool. Thing is, their mom was a great sewer.

We all knew how to sew back then (still do!) and remake a redo when I can. When something has no wear anymore and it was a special outfit, cut big squares and make a quilt. I have a quilt from my mom and her sisters, that they worked on as early teens. It is at least 65 years old. My grandma finished it with flannel backing and gave it to me for my 16th birthday. It is wool pieces on one side, flannel backing. All the sewing stitches from the basic to the fancy were on it. I have had it for 40 years now. Still as nice as can be.

For the vintage thing now days, some friends along with a few relatives, we clean out what we don't wear, pass it around for whomever wants it. When that is done, then you hand it off to another group of different families who do the same. Something always says new and yet old!

items outside a second hand store
Investing in Antiques
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesJune 29, 2010
Vintage Baby Photo
Cleaning Vintage Baby Clothes
Vintage Craft Tools
Finding Vintage Craft Tools and Supplies
glass jar with rolled balls of fabric
Making a Vintage Rag Jar
Various promotional items.
Removing Logos from Promotional Items