VCRElectronics (Large)

Problems Playing Recorded VCR Tapes

I am having an unusual problem with our 2 new digital VCRs (LG and JVC). All of a sudden, the picture will freeze and the voice will continue normally (LG). Or (JVC) both the picture and sound will stop (picture freeze, no sound). These were recorded on digital televisions. I managed to get the LG working again by unplugging it from the power source and then turning it on again. I thought to do this because when I pressed the eject button, the machine didn't respond. However, the JVC did not have a machine freezing up problem.

I contacted both companies - didn't get any suggestion except to return the VCR. I already returned one and replaced it, only to have this continue. The extended warranties I purchased will not allow multiple exchanges. Could something in the VCR tapes (blank tapes I've been using to record on for a couple of years) be triggering this freeze, like a SEARCH/INDEX button that was pressed years ago but to which the tape is still mis-responding? If so, how do I erase the SEARCH/INDEX signal?

And yet, I can play my tapes with no problems at all for weeks, and then the freezing thing happens. I am mystified. I have about 40 tapes that I record on, and have no idea at present which ones were acting up. I have recorded on tapes that did act up, and the later recording did not exhibit any problems. I am recording free, over the air television. We have a large analog antenna on the roof that receives the digital signals beautifully when we are watching a broadcast. Thanks.

Holly from Richardson, TX

I read an article and I think it was from Thrifty Fun (not sure tho) that you need a co-axial splitter ( but not broadband) to hook-up your vcr. Hope this helps.

Hi Holly : )

Recording can be frustrating. We've had multiple problems lately (company replaced machinery THREE time. We found out recently that some signals are being encrypted to make recording an entire show impossible. This seems to be random. Some stations do more of this than others.

My suggestion is to keep a log of what works and what doesn't. You might find a pattern.