Environmentally Friendly Way to Get Rid of Grass

Question:

I need some advice for making a grass-free environment, it's for business purposes. We need to keep the soil but without any grass growing on it. We have been using round up for quite a long time but only killed the grass after each application, and it comes back soon after rain. So, is there any organic, non-chemical, cheap and environment friendly way I can get rid of all of the grass for a really long period ?

Hardiness Zone: 11

chphoea from Surabaya, Indonesia

Answer:

Chphoea,

Instead of killing the turf, why not remove it completely? If you are not worried about losing topsoil, consider renting a sod cutter for the afternoon. The cost of rental (if availability exists where you are) is usually quite reasonable and the effects are long lasting. Sod cutters leave a clean edge, removing the grass (roots and all) and the top 1 to 2 inches of soil. You'll be left with a 1-2 inch depression which can then be filled in with mulch, gravel or your medium of choice.

The sod can also be removed manually with a shovel, but this requires more "back power" and is not exactly easy. Also, if you need the topsoil to remain for your business (for example, growing food for a restaurant), or you have very little to spare in the first place, this method is probably not the best option.

Another option is to kill the grass by smothering it. This will take a lot more time (up to several months) and a bit of patience-especially to kill the roots. Mow the grass as short as possible and cover the area with dark plastic, corrugated cardboard, or a thick layer of newspaper or wood chips. In the end, this method will be just as effective as using chemicals or removing the sod completely.

Good luck!

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

I can think of a couple of ideas presently. One is to use salt. I pour over my driveway to kill out unwanted grass at times and also cover the soil with plastic sheeting and anchor in place, but not very attractive.

Hi. Try pouring boiling water on the grass. It kills it without altering the soil and surroundings. Hope this helps.

First cut grass as short as possible. Than cover grass area with black plastic to smother grass. This will take several weeks (4-6). Once it is dead, I would recommend covering the area with a layer of wood chips 6 inches deep. You may get a little returning grass occasionally but you can just spot treat that.

Vinegar

Best way I have found is to cover the grass with layers of newspaper. I wet the paper to keep it from blowing away. Then cover the wet newspapers with wood chips or pine straw. I took out my entire backyard, little by little, using this method. Try it, you'll like it! It does work best.

Sand.

Yes Yes & Yes! The Ruth Stout No-Work Garden Book, copyright 1971:

Things can't grow without sun! She proposes a deep mulch over anything you don't want, in your case, grass!

I've shrunk my back yard grass to a small oval for the pets and outside that oval I have room for vegetables, shrubs and even a 20 ft privacy screen thicket of volunteer plants like African Sumac.

I left out the most important part: grass clippings (still have them from front yard & back yard oval) piled as much as a foot deep.

I agree with the wet newspaper idea. I have used it many times. Boiling water works for very small areas like cracks in the sidewalk.

Rent a couple of high school kids to do the work. Remove about 6-8 inches of topsoil and replace all of it with gravel. The only reason grass ever sprouts in gravel is that the gravel is too shallow. Any barrier product will block old weed seeds under it but they will all let weeds sprout and grow very well on top of the barrier. That's why I don't use any barrier, they just end up needing to get dug out again. Ask around and you can always find someone wanting fill, but since you've been using Roundup for years, don't pass it off as 'clean' fill (haz-mat free). New gravel is a bargain and best of all, it will never, ever rot!

I wish I had that problem. I have an area in our backyard that I can't keep grass growing! Send your grass this way! : )

Several garden tools.
Environmentally Friendly Ways to Get Rid of Grass
Better Living Green Living GardeningApril 10, 2008
A married couple in a moutain setting.
Ideas for a "Green" Wedding
Buying an eBook Reader, Someone using an eBook reader.
Buying an eBook Reader
A row boat floating in the water.
Buying an Environmentally Friendly Boat
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material, A box filled with packing peanuts.
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material
🎉
🎄