Converting Weight Watchers Points to Exchanges

Does some type of conversion chart exist for the Weight Watchers Points? I prefer the exchange plan and Weight Watchers products in the store always print the points information on the box instead. So I end up searching for other products that still use the exchange system.

In others words, if a dinner or WW frozen treat has 6 points, I need to be able to decipher how that translates into the exchanges. I know that I can read the label for carbs, fat, protein, etc., but if there is a conversion chart it would be quick and easy.

By Satie from SC

I don't think there is a direct conversion, because the points are based on calories and fat and fiber. I believe the exchanges were largely calorie based by food group. Look at foods you know the exchages for, and try to "guestimate". Look at how many total calories are in the food and consider what food groups are in there. Try to divide up the calories by food group, based on how many calories you are allowed for an exchange in each particular food group.

There are many exchange charts available for diabetics, if you find that the calorie counts are similar for the food groups, you will probably find a number of more extensive charts at various sites devoted to diabletics.

I think if you can find how many ounces are in each food group you will then know how many exchanges they are. I.E. if a meal has 3 oz. of meat that wiould equal 3 protein. Same for veggies and starches. I wish they would also go back to the old way and not use the point system. It never worked for me. I think some of the products have the diabetic exchanges inlcuded and you could just use that information.

I can't seem to follow the point system either. I lost 142 lbs on the exchange system. I think it was more structured, and that is what I need now. I wish Weight Watchers would give people a choice.

I am not sure if this will help but you might just check out

It has recipes and guidelines and all kinds of recipes for diabetics and healthy eating and weight loss info.

May 21, 2011 Flag

Weight Watchers used to do the exchange system, but has since changed to the point system. Does anyone know where I can find a conversion tool or chart so I can find out the exchange for the points posted on different products? Thank you!

By Katie K

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. For the new point system, started in January 2011, you really need their materials. You can usually find them on the popular online auction site; (or you can join the program online and never need to go to a meeting). Up until January, there was a mathematical formula you could use that looked at calories/fat/fiber to assign points; so once you figured how many points per day you should allow, it was easy. Now they take into account other values in the foods; and most fruits and veggies have zero points.

If you google "weight watchers points" and similar phrases, you can probably find all the information you need on the previous points program. I am not sure you will find as much for the newer "points plus" program. The older one is still a great program, so you may be happy with that!

You really need to join WW online. Their site has a point calculator and a recipe builder where you enter all the ingredients and it tells you the points per serving. If you can't find the food on the list, it gives you a tool to enter the fiber, fat and protein content and then it converts it for you.

Health & Beauty Weight LossDecember 24, 2009
Pumpkin and Carrot Muffins
Weight Watchers Pumpkin and Carrot Muffins
Weight Watchers Help Scale
Calculating Weight Watchers Point Totals
A girl holding a healthy meal in one hand and an unhealthy meal in the other.
Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plans
Yogurt Bread Dough
Weight Watchers Yogurt Bread Dough