Planning Ways To Drive Less

Now that gasoline prices have become an issue, it's easier and easier to ask for accommodations from friends and colleagues - and to carpool - meet at central locations, etc.

Just yesterday I discussed meeting a colleague at a midpoint by using the L.A. subway into the valley. And since that is the highest cost of getting from the valley into anywhere in Hollywood (and vice versa), I have considered a combination of subway and taxi if I were without a car! The rest of the time, I work from HOME and my husband uses our most gas efficient car.

Luckily, I live at the old transportation hub of Hollywood, so there are alternatives in public transit for me which I know I can rely on in am emergency. Sad to say, using the bus, for example, is such a slow and painful process that I don't take them except when I have no other alternative! And the subway is nice but only goes north/south - not east/west where I would like to go!

By Pamphyila

I moved from live L.A. in 2003 but I got rid of my car the previous year and was fortunate enough to utilize the train system. I lived in Los Feliz and could walk down to the Vermont/Sunset station. Also, there was a very convenient bus that could take me northeast through Glendale, Burbank, Pasadena & even to La Canada-Flintridge. It is possible to live in L.A. without a car!

I now live in the northwest corner of Massachusetts where a car is a necessity. Since I'm just 20 minutes away from Bennington VT, I go up there for major needs that I can't find in my own city. I use up less gas going there than I would if I drove south to Pittsfield MA. I limit my trips to Northampton (100+ mi R/T) and Boston (300+ mi R/T) or meet at a friend's house along the way to carpool.

I own a Honda Civic, so I get excellent gas mileage. The biggest change I've made to conserve gas is that I've scheduled my grocery shopping. Since I have a limited income I've had to learn to plan more so now I just have learned to plan my trips. I go out with my neighbor twice a month to do bulk shopping. If I have to pick up other things, outside those trips, I piggy-back it with other trips. It takes planning... lots & lots of planning.

Whenever I can, I shop on the internet as well. There's no sense in driving 30 miles to buy printing ink when I can have it delivered to my door. Overall, I'm just being mindful of how & when I use my car.

Consumer Advice Cars Saving On GasJune 6, 2008
Square Foot Gardening
The Basics of Square Foot Gardening
Cabinet Door
Keeping Cabinet Doors From Slamming Shut
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
Driving on Snowy Roads, Cars driving on a snowy road.
Driving on Snowy Roads
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 22, 2016 at 3:04:24 PM on 10.0.1.23 in 980 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.