Frugal Crossword Puzzle Gift Idea

contest winner icon

This is a frugal holiday or birthday gift idea for people who like crossword puzzles. If you get the daily newspaper, or have a neighbor who does (and doesn't do the crosswords), do this:

Cut out the crossword puzzle, and find the page that has the solution on it. Staple, glue, tape, or otherwise fasten the puzzle and the solution back-to-back so each puzzle has its answers right with it. Collect as many puzzles as you'd like to give. You could one from every newspaper for a year and give it for Christmas or a birthday.

Add a pen, a cheap clipboard or other hard surface, and whatever else you think would go with a bunch of crossword puzzles. Put it in a box and wrap it with (what else?) the Sunday comics.

If your friend gets the same paper you do, ask a neighbor who gets a different paper, or gather old crossword books and cut out the used ones and their solutions.

If they really like a challenge, don't attach the solutions. Either put them in, loose (and they have to sort them out) or don't include them at all.

And when they're done with the puzzles, they can be thrown in the recycling bin (minus the staple or tape.)

Source: I got this idea because I usually keep the section of our newspaper that has the comics, but I kept the whole section. I have slowly been going through them and cutting out the comics I wanted to keep, and any undone crossword puzzles, and of course, I want the solutions, so I attach those, too. So I have this folder of thirty or so crossword puzzles.

By Saber from Omaha, NE

You can also personalize crosswords at puzzlemaker.com. I never thought of giving them as a gift before, so this is great! My grandma is hard to shop for, but does a puzzle everyday. Think I'll use this for Christmas!

Glad I could help - hope the grandmother likes it! (This one's my idea.) :grin: I didn't know about the personalized crosswords, that's very cool!

You can also do this with Jumbles, Sudokus, and even things like the weird chess and bridge tips that they run in my paper. All those little puzzles and games are good for people who like to do them!

I wish I'd thought to include it in the original submission. LOL

What a great idea! I have been looking for something novel for my mother for Christmas. She would love this. I could include an eraser for mistakes, too, and some of her favorite tea bags and a batch of homemade biscuits to enjoy while she is 'puzzling'! Thanks heaps for the idea.

GREAT ideas everybody! I'm going to do this for my sister or my neice. We always do somthing that is relaxing for each other at Christmas, and it usually includes teabags. What a great gift idea! Thanks for sharing!

I love this kind of gift. It is so thoughtful.

This is a wonderful idea! I know some people really don't like others to spend money on them and they really do have everything they need. But this is a very thoughtful gift and if they like puzzles...why not? Amazing!

Great idea! Same can be done w/sudoku.

This is a fun idea! When I was younger, I made a "Garfield" book for my mom. I had my grandma save her paper each week (dailies used to be black&white) & put it together when she was @ work. She was so surprised! :)

Frugal Gift
Frugal Gift Ideas
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts FrugalOctober 9, 2008
Organizing Crossword Puzzles
Organizing Crossword Puzzles
Crossword Puzzle
Crossword Puzzle Crafts
jigsaw puzzle
Making a Puzzle Storage Board
Making a Puzzle Board
Making a Puzzle Board
🎄