Home SafetyHome Improvement

Being Prepared for Tornados

Category Home Safety

We're under storm warnings (again) today. It's part of our Spring weather where I live, smack in the middle of "Tornado Alley".

I have learned from experience that it is prudent to gather belongings and papers you want "saved" in case of storm damage, and it is better to do it earlier than later.

In one large rectangular folding carton, I put the following:

• Ziploc bags of all medication for each family member;
  • Purses and wallets;
  • Notebook I keep financial records and bills in plus the notebook with receipts needed for taxes, etc.;
  • 2 picture albums that I can't live without (or don't think I could);
  • Notebook with vital information such as living wills, lockbox keys, etc.
  • Notebooks and computer disks dealing with my business;
  • Box containing new, unused checks.

In a small plastic bin goes the following:

• Flashlights
  • Portable radio and batteries
  • Bottled water
  • Snacks
  • First-aid kit

The latter I keep maintained and ready to go - just a matter of taking it off the shelf where it is stored.

This process only takes 5 minutes because I have done it so many times before, but it sure makes getting to the shelter a whole lot quicker.

The one last rule that is never deviated from is that I am the last one out of the house. We exit by one door so that I know everyone is out. No one is allowed to go back no matter what until the storm has well passed.

A little preparation in the beginning of the "alert" can not only save lives, but incalculable headaches later on should you have a calamity.

By Ronsan

what a great list. I am tornado obssesed and feel tons better when I am organized, and know that I have everything ready to go at the drop of a hat if need be. There are a few things that I would add to your list:

first is for all of you pet owners

pet food

pet carrier and/or leash

vaccination records

bowls for food and water for your pet

I keep these in a small tote in the basement with a water tight lid. also make sure you empty tote at the end of storm season

second in a vacuum sealed storage bag (the ones they used to sell on infomercials, but now can find at your local discount store) with blankets and pillows these are also stored in the basement so they are already waiting for you in case of an emergency

Have a great day

Kat

*keeping an eye on the sky*

I also came from "tornado alley" Kansas ...an now live in Texas so yes I also know only to well how it is so important to have things ready "ahead" of time. One of the most important thing on our list is a little weather radio WITH a siren on it...make sure it does have a siren on it as it could save your life in case a storm comes up in the middle of the nite an alot of times they do. we also keep extra batteries with our supplies. the weather radio can be found at radio shack, ebay, ect. one of mine is small enough to slip into my purse. If bad weather might be coming I send one of the weather radios with my husband to work. another thing is the lights that are like a dome that you just touch an can be hung on the wall also. now they can be found at the dollar stores an alot cheaper than when they first came out, I have put one next to my bed an also one in each room with one in the bathroom where we would go for shelter an with extra batteries.