RefinishingFurniture

Removing Paint From a Woven Reed Chair Seat

I was given an old rocker. The seat is made of reed i believe, wider than cane and just woven. The whole chair has been painted brown. Could someone tell me how to get the paint off the seat. I can just repaint the chair but would like the seat natural.

Jo Anne from NY

Answers

I've just started doing some furniture re-finishing and I might just have a little help for you. I've been using this orange (supposed to be nicer to the environment) paint remover that you can spray onto your furniture. The directions specifically say that "it works on painted wicker, too." My next piece to do is wicker, so I'm going to try it. The problem is, I'm not at my home so I don't have the name of the product - but it's orange, in a spray bottle and I'm sure the word "Citrus" is in the product name!

Good Luck!

(Also check with your local hardware - hopefully, you've got an old-fashioned one where the people really know what products are out there -these folks are INCREDIBLY Invaluable.