Shucking Corn On The Cob

What is the easiest way to shuck corn on the cob to ensure the silks are all removed?

By Susan

Hello Susan. I don't believe that when shucking corn you can remove all the silks at one step. But you can get the most by dividing the top of the shucks in half gathering the majority of the silk and pulling down ward. Ofter that I take a toothbrush and brush down the ear to remove the few silks that are left. It does take practice to get this method down. I learned it many years ago from my grandmother.

Are you wanting to cook the corn after you shuck it or are you going to freeze it?

Hello Susan,

Over my years of shucking corn I have come up with a near perfect way. I shuck it, then use dry paper towels. Always after using the towels on a few Ears get new ones. It works every time.

Jayemar

If you are grilling anyhow and want to eat it right away, my mom taught me the absolute best way I have ever used. Cut the top and bottom off the ears and remove the loose outer three or so husks. Soak the raw ears in ice water until ready to cook. Then cook them on the grill while your other grilled food cooks.

You need to turn them over a few times so they cook evenly and when the outside husks get charred a little, they are done. Pull off the husks -- careful as they are going to still be hot! - and the silks come right off with them. Season and eat! I don't know if it would work the same way in the oven or not because I use the grill for most everything in the summer.

If you are eating them right away, cut off stalk end up to end of ear, remove outer husks down to last two deep, place in microwave for two minutes per ear (about six minutes for four ears). When cooked, remove carefully and shuck the ears. The silks will come off with no trouble. If, for instance, two of you are dining and desire two ears each, keep the second ears in their husks until you are ready: they stay hot for awhile. I have used this method for several years, and will never go back to the old methods of shucking first. Cay from FL

Easier than any of the previous suggestions. Simply blow the silks off! We used an air compressor to blow them off in about 30 to 45 seconds. It's a real breeze!

Shucking Corn
Shucking Corn on the Cob
Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesAugust 2, 2011
Grilling Corn on the Cob
Grilling Corn on the Cob
Corn on the Cob with Lots of Butter
Buttering Corn On the Cob
Removing Corn From the Cob
Removing Corn From the Cob
Corn cooked in the microwave.
Cooking Corn on the Cob in a Microwave
🎄