Advice For Making Cabinet Doors

I am planning making mdf cabinet doors. I want to know if anyone has done this before and/or if anyone has tried routing out a square in the center?

1. What thickness would you suggest for the raised/routed part?
2. Can I get a smooth enough surface with a router?

(I've worked with mdf before but not a router)

PainterJayne from Minneapolis, MN

Yes, you can router MDF. My husband and I recently made a huge bookcase headboard and foot board, and we used the router to smooth the edges and it came out great. Good luck

I made the face frames as well as the cabinet doors from 3/4 inch MDF. They machine quite nicely with a router and then can be sealed and painted. Excellent alternative to hardwood if you are planning on painting.

What type of router bit can I use to route the square in the centre of the MDF board?

I'm also planning on making my own cabinet doors. But instead of trying to rout out the wood, I'm simply going to use molding trim to decorate the flat wood with. I'll juse use my sander to smooth out the edges all the way around.

Make Your Own FurnitureMay 20, 2008
Cabinet Door
Keeping Cabinet Doors From Slamming Shut
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
A medicine cabinet door with a child lock on it to help it stayed closed.
Bathroom Cabinet Door Won't Stay Closed