Retaining Natural Color in Frozen Apples

How do you freeze fresh apples without them losing their color?

By Nellshouse from Novato, CA

There's a product in the market called Fruit Fresh. You might try this, but lemon juice usually keeps fruit from turning color.

When I peel my apples I place them in water that has had a small amount of white vinegar,(I never measure it), probably 1 tablespoon per quart of water, or if I have no vinegar then about 1 teaspoon salt per quart of water. When I have all my apples peeled I drain them in a colander and bag them for the freezer.

This amount of vinegar is not enough to affect the taste in the apples. If using salt then I mark on packages of apples and adjust the amount of salt in my recipe when I get ready to use them.

The other thing I might do if not preparing a great number of apples at one time is to freeze them on a pan individually and when frozen (a couple of hours-not longer than 24 hours) I then bag them so that I may take out and use only the amount I need, replacing the rest in the freezer for later use.

I use lemon juice and it doesn't change the colour of the apples.

Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesSeptember 21, 2009
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
Green apple sitting on the lid of a canning jar.
Canning Apples
🎄
🍂