Baking for a Diabetic

When living with diabetes, don't be afraid to lower the sugar content of your favorite recipes for baked goods without adding sugar substitutes. For instance, the sugar in a muffin or cookie recipe with dried fruit, banana or applesauce in it can often be cut by as much as half.

What I usually do when testing a new recipe that I want to adjust the sweetness in, is make 2 half recipes in separate bowls, putting 3/4 of the amount of sugar in one and 1/2 the amount in the other.

Bake them as per recipe but in or on separate pans. Taste both and go for the lowest sugar that you can. You can even try 1/2 the sugar for one and 1/4 the sugar for the other and see what you think. The texture may change a little, but you still get to have a favourite goodie.

I do not try to reduce sugar in things that are yeast-based, as they need the sugar to turn out their best.

Source: my own experimental nature

By thriftmeg from Ontario, Canada

These are great ideas whether one is diabetic or not. If you are wanting something light and fluffy, just remember it's not just the sugar which we have to watch, it's the carbs in the ingredients as a whole. Since I prefer to have something which I don't have to sacrifice those carbs in another meal during the day, I add nuts, seeds and mult/whole grains to any of my baked goods.

I have found loading a muffin and just making it cupcake size instead of those huge ones, gives me more bang for the buck and I don't have to sacrifice the carbs from another meal in the day. If you don't want to add a lot of stuff to your baked goods, use flax seed germ to add fiber which will slow down the breakdown of the carbs. This allows the blood sugar to rise more slowly than would normally be the case.

I also use as much fruit juice or pulp instead of sugars since I don't like nor use artificial sweeteners.

Thriftmeg, you have given me yet one more tool in my kitchen when baking for diabetics or just for eating more healthier. Thanks.

June 30, 2009 Flag

I am looking for information about baking for a diabetic.

Jane from Vancouver, B.C.

Baking for a Diabetic

Please go to or put in a search for Diabetic recipes. I bake for my husband who is a diabetic. I use Splenda, exact substitute for sugar. I use Splenda Brown Sugar substitute. (01/27/2006)

By Dorie

Baking for a Diabetic

Have you tried the Splenda website? I signed up and I receive postal mail from them with all sorts of recipes. I also received a nice large cookbook from the Mayo Clinic when I signed up with their site. My late hubby was a diabetic and I cooked for him, but I found baking to be the biggest challenge. The carb count in most all baked goods is high. Oh yeah, go to your favorite search engine and type "diabetic recipes" Be prepared for A LOT. (01/27/2006)

By Jan

Baking for a Diabetic

Being a diabetic, I am very aware of the carb count. It's not just the sugar that you have to be aware of but perhaps even more important the FAT. I use apple sauce to replace some of the oil required in recipes, usually at half to half. It has worked so far. Also white flour has at least 72 carbs per cup. For some that could be 2 meals! Maybe experiment with whole wheat flour - not everything comes out the way you've hope tho'!

As you get used to not so many "sweets" it does get easier and at times some are just too sweet! Muffins with lots of fruit in them, fresh mixed fruit with sugar sub. As long as you're aware of your carb count, you can treat yourself from time to time. You have to live, and if you think you've overdone it, go for a go brisk or at least a walk for 30+ minutes. (01/27/2006)

By Streatch

Baking for a Diabetic

If you will go to they have a whole section for diabetic recipes. I go to them a lot. Hope this helps.

By TonyaG

Baking for a Diabetic

My husband and I limit our sugar intake greatly. I use Splenda for no bake recipes. I find that baked recipes need the Splenda for Baking or they don't come out quite right. I make my own blend with 2/3 Splenda and 1/3 regular sugar. I also usually cut down on the sugar and/or Splenda in any recipe by 1/3 to 1/2. I substitute wheat flour for white, approximately 1/2 wheat for white in a recipe for bread, muffins, biscuits. For cakes or lighter baked goods, I use 1/4 wheat to 3/4 white. (01/28/2006)

By thriftyboo

Baking for a Diabetic

Try (03/23/2008)

By Staceyy

Baking for a Diabetic

I am new at baking and even just cooking for the Diabetic. My husband was diagnosed with diabetes two weeks ago, and frankly I am lost. Is there a site where I can go to find information on cooking for the diabetic? Thank you for any help you can give to me. (06/10/2008)

By Debbie

Baking for a Diabetic

I just started a diabetic baking blog. Feel free to check it out if it would be helpful to you: (03/23/2009)

By DixieCaverns

Food and Recipes Recipes Dieting DiabeticJune 30, 2009
Apple Pie
Diabetic Apple Pie Recipes
Making Diabetic Powdered Sugar (Sugar Free)
Blueberry Pie
Diabetic Blueberry Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
Diabetic Graham Cracker Crust Recipes