Smashing Cans Flat To Save Space

We used to do this when I was a child and to this day, I still do it for two reasons. When I open a can of food, after I empty it, I cut out the other end and put the lid inside then step on it to mash it flat. This saves space in the trash can and keeps you from cutting fingers on the loose lid in the trash when you smash the trash with your hand to make more room.

By Carol from Huber Heights, OH

I too remember doing this as a child. I can also remember my father telling me why.....he said during "the War" (aka WWll), one took the label off, then opened both ends, inserted the lids and stepped on them...they were then recycled for War use. And recyclers today thought they invented this. LOL

We haven't done that, but will start now. We do tear up cereal boxes and newspapers into 4 sections. We can much more into the bag this way. We live out in the country and do not have recycling or garbage pickup.

I remember my grandma did this to all her cans. She lived in the country and had to haul her trash to the dump, so she compacted it as much as she could.

But don't throw away those flattened cans. If there is a metal recycling place they usually now take other cans besides aluminum. You might need to have a good supply to take. Our church collects cans and othr metal to resell.

Organizing Garbage and RecyclingJanuary 4, 2007
Tuna Cans
Uses for Tuna Cans
Storing Paint Cans
Storing Paint Cans
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
Repairing a Flat Tire
Repairing a Flat Tire
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 23, 2016 at 3:51:35 PM on 10.0.0.42 in 988 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.