LeftoversFood Tips

Boosting Leftovers

Category Leftovers

Get more servings out of leftovers by adding more ingredients. For example, if you have some leftover vegetable soup, but only enough for a couple servings, add some chicken broth and a can of vegetables or tomatoes. Another thing you can do is combine leftovers; leftover sauces can be used in casseroles, leftover rice can be used in casseroles and soup, left over meat and can used in numerous dishes, etc.

My friend used to call this hodge-podge "leftover soup". She put all the food that was left during the week into a huge pot & simmered. Her husband and sons always looked forward to this mystery soup. On the other hand, my friend couldn't bring herself to eat it b/c she said it didn't always look so tasty! LOL

I love leftovers and specifically make meals that will have leftovers to make into more meals! I liked the idea about adding more broth or tomatoes to the soup, how about thickening the leftover vegetable soup and making a crust and making a pot-pie with it? I also like to make extra rice because the next day I can make my chinese fried rice with it (that is one of my favorites!) Roast chicken is good because I boil the bones to get every last piece of meat off, and add some carrots and seasoning and make soup. I do this with turkey too. I save all of my vegetable scraps (peelings) in the freezer and when I have enough I boil them to make a vegetable broth and use that to add to a lot of leftover meals for flavor. My friend saves all the liquid from all her can vegetables and freezes it, when she makes soup she adds all the liquid in. I just tried this, it made a very flavorful broth but was salty. I added potatoes which soak up salt, and the soup was much better. I also save leftover gravy and freeze it, and I have added it to soup; it makes a thick, savory soup. I am one of the lucky ones, my husband actually likes leftovers! As long as it is home cooked, he will eat it, and he never complains!

When ever we have left over roast I cut up the roast in bite size pieces. I then cut up some potatoes, minced oinon and carrorts. Put it all in a cassarole dish and pour the left over gravy on it. Another nights dinner with little work or thought.

One thing that I love is adding leftover sloppy Joe meat, macaroni & cheese & mixed vegetable to cream of tomato soup! M-m-m good! Taste of Home calls 'em "plan-overs", instead of left-overs! :o)