Revitalize Old Clothes

I've just changed the buttons on an old coat and it looks just like a new one. I buy buttons in thrift stores (where you can find horn, mother-of-pearl, or brass ones) or take them off other pieces of clothing. I also often dye clothes, particularly woolens, to revitalize them.

Beige or cream sweaters or cardigans, if they are looking grubby or dull, can be dyed a brilliant cherry red or bright pink. Yellows, greens and blues should be dyed again somewhere in their own color range or the color looks a bit muddy. Use Dylon dyes which can go in the washing machine. They are not expensive. New buttons and colors give you a whole new wardrobe.

By Lucy from UK

I have done this from time to time and it works fine. However, I got a good laugh the day I tried to "revitalize" some underwear! I learned that not all fabrics in a bra take the dye equally, so I have certain undergarments with an interesting combination of dyed and undyed fabrics! :-D

I've rescued some blouses from being thrown out by sewing appliques over stains. For example a favorite denim blouse with a large painted flower on it got a stain near the flower. I sewed on a colorful butterfly applique. It looks great and I'll get a lot more wear out of the blouse. It would also work with small fabric tears. You just have to find the right size and style applique for the garment.

I have dyed favorite tops and sweaters for years and am always very pleased with the results. I have three favorite long sleeve T-shirts that never seem to wear out (I bought them almost 10 years ago) but the color does fade. I've dyed half a dozen times and they always emerge as brand new. I crochet lace edgings to pants, skirts, sleeves, necklines. Also embroider different designs (suns, moons, stars, flowers, bees etc) over stains. Takes a little more time and work, but the end result makes it personal and one of a kind.

I sewed patches of flowers made up of different kinds of textile on my old favorite shirt. It looks really great. Haha and you can find it no where. Very unique. :)

What an absolutely brilliant idea you posted for revitalizing old coats! And, yes this idea can be applied to coats, sweaters, blouses, blazers, and other pieces of apparel. These "lean" economic times are certainly bringing out the "artist" in more people! Thanks for the tip! Happy Spring too...

I have never heard of that particular brand dye. Does anyone in U.S. know where to get it?

I've been doing alot of this lately also and love it. Lyndasings....I did the same thing with a bra with the same outcome lol!

Altering Clothing on Sewing Machine
Altering Old Clothing Into New
Better Living Frugal Living TipsMay 25, 2010
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Rejuvenating a Tired Lawn
Rejuvenating a Tired Lawn
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
Diagram of how to make a clothes pin rocking chair.
Making a Clothes Pin Chair