My Dog Takes Phenobarbital for Seizures

My 10 year old cocker spaniel has recently been diagnosed with epilepsy, after experiencing several seizures. My vet has put her on phenobarbital. She has become very active. Does anyone know if this is normal or could she be having some adverse reaction? She seems to feel better than she has in quite some time!

SonjaK from Shelton, WA

If she isn't having any seizures & seems to do better, go with your Vet.

We have a beagle on anti-seizure meds and if I'm not mistaken they have to be on it the rest of their lives.

Our soon to be 15 yr. old german shepard/chow has had 2 seizures in the last 3 wks. He also was put on phenobarb and I had to call the vet this a.m. He walks around like he's drunk. They told me that this is perfectly normal for about 5 days. The medicine should even out after that. Now if he stops eating/drinking I have to let them know. I guess I'll just have to watch and see. They did tell me that if he has no more for 6 mos. we'll try weaning him off. We'll see.

Our Golden Retriever has been on Phenobarb for about 9 years now and is doing great. He is now 13 and is just now slowing down. He has always been a barrel of energy. You will have to have her blood check I think it is yearly to be sure the phenobarb levels are where they need to be. We also kept track of his seizures and wrote down when he had them what he had been doing prior to and how long they lasted. We took this record in each time we went to the vet.

why dont you call your vet.??

What happen if a teen took that medicine what would happen to her?

My dog is on phenobartbital for cluster seizures this is the first night home with him since he was released from the Emergency Clinic. He seems extremely nervous and tired. He hasn't had a decent sleep in almost 48 hours. I just don't know about these meds. It seems like hes feeling the onset of a seizure without displaying the actual physical assault of a seizure. Has anyone experienced this and did your dog eventually adjust?

My dog started having seizures in August, one right after the other and she is on Phenobarbital now and hasnt had a seizure since. She is a mixed cocker/lab and 2 years old. For two weeks she was lathargic and not her usual playful self, thirsty, more hungry and needing to go out to potty constantly. She just stayed under the table and wouldnt come out or let us get near her. It took a good 2 weeks for her to get back to her old self and now she is normal again. She has already had her blood work done and it was ok, so Im happy. This was a very scary experience but you learn to adapt as she has.

Pets Dogs HealthJune 30, 2006
Dog
Dog Having Seizures
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
epilepsy monitoring
Living With Epilepsy
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎉
🎄