AdviceDogs

How Long Will Shih Tzu's Hair Grow?

My Shih Tzu is 11 months and I would like to know if her hair will grow to the ground? And if so, at what age will she be? She is the best baby I have ever had. She comes with me almost everywhere. By the way, I groom her twice a day, is that too much? Her hair is about 2/3 inches off the ground but her beard and whiskers are short. Thanks. I hope you can help me with my question.

Maria

Answers

When I worked in a vet office I saw many dogs and never saw a shih tzu with hair to the ground. Hers should be about as long as it's going to get now. Grooming twice a day...does that mean just combing and brushing? If so, that's a good idea. That long hair is so fine and tangles so easily it needs frequent brushing. She doesn't need and shouldn't get a daily bath. Dogs aren't people with 4 legs although some people think so. They have body oils that need to stay there. I've seen many 'itchy' dogs that got that way from too many baths. Once weekly should be more than enough but be EXTRA sure you rinse very well. I've also seen many itchy dogs that had shampoo itch from not rinsing enough. I tell everybody that my Penny Louise (doxie) is the daughter I never had so I can appreciate how much you're enjoying your 'baby'.