Cloth Diapers or Disposable Diapers?

My daughter is about to have her first child and I am looking for information on the cost comparison between Cloth and Disposable Diapers. Any other diaper tips would be great.

Thanks,
Lois in LA

Here's a submission we received recently:

Sew your own Cloth Baby Diapers - Who me Sew? Yes, you can learn to sew your own Designer Cloth Diapers for your baby!

Your Precious Baby deserves nothing less than Cloth to wear 24 hours a day for about the first 2-3 year of it's life.

There have been so many changes in the styles and fabrics of Cloth diaper now, they're not what Granny used!

More than just a square of flannel, you can make your own fitted or all-in-one cloth diapers. So Easy they go on with velcro and soft elastic around the legs, just like Huggies!

No more toilet dunking, just throw them in the washer and voila! Sparkling clean diapers, no running to the store, no more paying for an extra load of Garbage.

Save up to $2500 by using Cloth diapers. There are a few free patterns for cloth diapers online, and I'm even working on my own All-in-one Daddy's favorite cloth diaper pattern. Just e-mail me for more info at hi_eagle AT hotmail.com

Sarah

This website has a ton of great resources for cloth diaperers: http://www.diaperpin.com/home.asp

Don't forget to think about diaper services. When my girls where born more than twenty years ago we didn't want to go the disposable way because of my commitment to the environment but I didn't want all the work either. I wanted my cake and to eat it too. We found if you calculated the cost of the service against the cost of cloth diapers and hydro, water, soap it came out to be the same as a service. That's the way we went and I'm still glad we did. Just thought I'd mention the idea.

I suggest disposable. I can't imagine messing with cloth diapers, of course we have twins, and it would be impossible to keep up, but disposables are the best way if you ask me. my mom used cloth on me of course with a diaper service she received as a baby shower gift and she said she would have still preferred to use disposables!

I strongly suggest using disposables. They are specially made to keep the baby's skin nice and dry, plus they tend to absorb alot of the smells. I had tried cloth for the first 4 or 5 months with my son, but he often got rashes and smelled like pee. Plus when they poop in the cloth diaper its just a stinky mess, and a pain in the neck to go and dump it all in the toilet. The you have to keep a bucket full of cleaning solution to soak them in until you get enough to make a full wash load (yuck). Its just so much easier (and cleaner) to use dispoables. Just roll up the dirty diaper, retape shut, and if its a stinky one throw it in a plastic shopping bag, tie it up a few times and throw it away... more time with baby!

I'd do the disposable diaper thing. I thought I would do cloth with my daughter but a friend of my husband purchased us the huge container that several boxes of pampers are delivered to department stores. I was so thrilled. That present and getting a few more packages lasted our daughter until she needed to go to the next size disposable.

I grew up with five brothers and one sister. My mother washed out poop diaper all the time. She had two in piapers once and three in piapers another time. I don't know how she did it. I never had to do that task, but sure felt sorry for the little girl next door who had to wash out the poop diapers for her mother when she had twins. There was no city water nor modern washers. I can still see that little girl scrubbing those diapers on a wash board and crying. Her mother usually came outside and threatened her with a broom stick to hurry and get her task done.

We may have been poor but we had a good mother. When Mother gave birth to my fifth brother, she was very sick . She had surgery and didn't come home for two weeks. I took Joey and raised him his first six months because Mom was too ill to take care of him at night. I made sure that my baby brother had "disposable" diapers for the next twelve months that I was away at school. My stepfather brings it up several times, that he really appreciated my buying "diapers" for my little brother.

I suggest using a little of both. I use cloth at home and disposable when we got out.

Today's Cloth Diapers are amazingly easy to use now. If you haven't checked them out in the past couple of years, just do a search on google for cloth diapers, you'll pull up thousands of sites!

NO pins, no dunking, no leaks, no rash, no bulk, no toxic chemicals, and no waste for the landfills.

And best of all no $2500 price tag! And that's if you don't change the disposables very often and let baby sit in their own waste, ewww! Cost more if your baby goes past 2 till potty training, about another $1000 every year.

If you sew you can get enough cloth diapers to last for 2 years for $70. Even if you don't sew, the cost for 2-3 yrs worth of high quality easy to use cloth diapers goes to between $100-300. Just to get enough to start out using cloth is as low as $30-50.

Compared to $2500 or more for disposables, and your baby will be healthier, happier and your wallet fatter, there is just no comparison!

email me for more info! hi_eagle AT hotmail.com

A stack of a cloth diapers.
Cloth Diapers or Disposable Diapers?
Parenting Newborn and New Mothers AdviceFebruary 23, 2007
Pile of baby diapers.
Saving Money on Diapers
Washable Wiping Squares
Reusable Toilet Paper (Cloth Wiping Squares)
disposable razor
Uses for Disposable Razors
Used Diaper
Reducing Disposible Diaper Pail Odors
🎉
🎄