Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog Gets Car Sick

I have a 2 yr. old female Yorkie that gets car sick. Any suggestions? Thank you.

By dk.state

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By xintexas [28]10/18/2010

Yes, keep her in a dog carrier when you have to take her anywhere in the car. This might keep her calm and less likely to vomit or get ill.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dog Gets Car Sick

What can I do to avoid car sickness for my small dog?

Orab from FL

RE: Dog Gets Car Sick

Mine does the same thing just make sure he/she has not eaten or had anything to drink for some time. When Princey has a full tummy she upchucks. I make sure she has an empty tummy, also the windows are down, too. She doesn't go on long car rides though just short ones. She also likes sitting in the back seat of the car sometimes I put her in the front depending what is going on. (08/05/2008)

By Barbara

RE: Dog Gets Car Sick

We had a carsick puppy. Thankfully that has gotten better. He's now 18 months old. Our vet said we can give the dog children's Benadryl liquid (for humans). There is a certain dosage amount per the weight of the dog. Please ask your vet for the proper amount. It acts in the same way as some of the prescription medications I see written about. You can get generic or store brand children's Benadryl for little cost, even at the Dollar Store. We'd always line the dog's area in the car with old bath towels. Upon arrival home we'd shake them out and launder them. That saved the car. (08/05/2008)

RE: Dog Gets Car Sick

We had the same problem with our 80 pound dog. Our Vet told me to start with small car rides and get her used to the car. We would take her for a ride around the block every day when we got home from work. She actually started looking forward to it! We then slowly worked up to two and then three blocks. It helped that we also took her for longer rides to Mc Donald's for 99 cent burger. She is fine now and has no more problems. Loves to go for her rides! Good luck with you dog. (08/05/2008)

By Nancy

RE: Dog Gets Car Sick

My sister-in-law used to have a Basset Hound that couldn't ride without getting sick. She would give him a chewable Pepto-Bismol tablet 1/2 hour before they went "on the road". It worked every time! (08/06/2008)

By Crafty Chrissy

RE: Dog Gets Car Sick

I wouldn't take him in the car. Good luck. (08/06/2008)

By Carol in PA

RE: Dog Gets Car Sick

My Yorkie also got carsick. I give him about 4 drops of Bach Rescue Remedy about an hour before we go in the car. It works. It also works to soothe him when there is a thunderstorm. You can find it in any health food store. It is also good for human use. (08/06/2008)

By soochatty

Archive: Dog Gets Car Sick

I have a dog, Jesse, a Shipoo, who gets sick every single time we take him someplace in the car. It doesn't matter how short the distance. His groomer is only 4 miles down the road, but he's vomiting before we even get there.

We hate having to leave him home every time we go on trips, but we don't like putting him through the misery of getting sick each time. Does anyone know of an effective treatment for motion sickness for dogs?

By Martie from MN

RE: Dog Gets Car Sick

What is he in when traveling? I bought doggy car seats for mine and as soon as they were elevated and could see out the window and could focus on distant, unmoving objects, they were fine. (07/16/2010)

By Jron7667

RE: Dog Gets Car Sick

I also have a pup that gets carsick. The vet said to give her a quarter gravel. Today I tried it. She wasn't sick but cried the whole time. She gets so uptight that she is all over the place and I have to keep her tied down. She gets so hyper that she will throw up, pee, and at times have a bowel movement. I talked to the vet after and she said to give her a half gravel. She is only 12 lbs. She is a Shiranian, Shitzu and Pomeranian. Does anybody have an idea of what to do to get her to like a car ride? My car seat is covered with a pee pad and a blanket over it. (07/16/2010)

By jayseaweav