'07 Chevy Malibu Doesn't Have a Block Heater

Alert for 2007 or newer Chevy Malibu.

My daughter recently bought a 07 Malibu. This vehicle had no block heater, and we had to pay $400.00 to have one installed. A block heater usually costs $150.00, but we had to have it installed by the dealer because of the warranty.

We live in northern Alberta and the temperatures are very cold in the winter and a block heater is a must. Unfortunately we did not think to check for a block heater when we purchased it.

So if you are thinking of buying a Chevy Malibu 07 or newer and you live in a cold climate area, check under the case covering the battery before you buy. If there is no block heater, ask for one to be installed, at their expense. I have an 06 Malibu which did have a block heater, although I did have to take it back to the dealer to find it.

A word on the Malibu itself, it is an awesome car,great on gas, lots of features and a great ride. Aside from the block heater issue, I would recommend them to anyone

By PICO from ST PAUL, ALBERTA

Answers

Wow, I don't want to get into the Maine vs. Alberta thing, they BOTH have coooolllddd winters ('cept the coast of Maine a little less).

If I were in either I would have some warming method for my car. Block heater a plus since you may find outlets available even if you aren't home. Pre-heating saves wear and tear on both your car AND you!

February 6, 2009 Flag

I have a question for my daughter. She recently bought a 2007 Chevy Malibu. The car does not come with a block heater. We live in northern Alberta where it gets quite cold, today it was -35 and yes, the car started with no problem. I wonder, should we install a block heater or do the newer cars not need them? I have never heard of a vehicle without a block heater.

Pico from St. Paul

Answers:

I live in Maine and never owned a car with a block heater. One car I owned, a electric heater was installed by a mechanic to keep the engine warm during cold weather. It was installed in the return hose line to the radiator and had to be plugged into an electric source. I never used it. (12/17/2008)

By Harry

I think you should go to your dealership and have a blockheater installed. Cars in Canada need blockheaters, unless you keep them all the time in a heated garage. Just because the car started once in -35 doesn't mean it will do so always. Most cars with good batteries will start without being plugged in, but it is obviously better to have them plugged in, or all of us wouldn't be doing it.

You can't take advice from some one who lives in Maine on winters in Alberta. I live in Sask. (12/20/2008)

By louel53

I used to live in MPLS. If you install a block heater, it will save wear and tear on your engine druing startup since the oil is cold. When the oil is cold, its much thicker, it takes more time to lubricate the engine parts, causing engine damage. (12/21/2008)

By Brad

Consumer Advice Cars AdviceDecember 17, 2008
Car Radiator
Troubleshooting Car Heater Problems
Cleaning a Water Heater
Cleaning a Water Heater
Ford Ranger
Ford Ranger Heater Not Working
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
🎄
🍂