Herbal Remedies for Post-Hysterectomy Problems

After my hysterectomy 6 yrs ago (I'm 55 yrs old now), my doctor put me on HRT since I had very bad night sweats and hot flashes. It was great and I had no problems at all. I now have a new doctor who is adamant that after 6 yrs I have to stop the HRT and try the less potent herbal stuff. Its been a nightmare!

I haven't had a good nights sleep for 3 months and the hot flashes are driving me crazy! Does anyone know of a good herbal remedy that I can try? The soya extract I've been taking doesn't work. I don't live in the U.S. so specific brands are no good to me, general ingredients are better. I'm going crazy here, why do I have to have such a mean doctor?

By Cettina

I take a liquid calcium, magnesium & vitamin D and mix a tablespoon in a glass of water. Along with that I take two capsules of Valerian Root which I purchase at a vitamin store. It knocks me right out and I haven't had any problem with sleeping.

Try searching on welltellme.net. A great group of mostly ladies and mamas on there that are all about the herbal remedies! Betsy

If you have a pharmacists who does compounds in your area see if you can have a consultation with them and get them to make you up a compound that is a cream with progesterone in it. It will have to be approved by your doc, but it does help. Regards, Debbie

Ask for a second opinion from a different doctor unless you can change your doctor if you're not happy with him.

In the UK you could ask your nearest FHSA to recommend one for you. Good luck. Monique :)

Research the Sweet Potato / Yams creams and pills. Lots of potential help there, Mayo Clinic research has had some great results with it. Check local health food stores. Also check into DHEA at the health food store.

Thank you all so much! I've changed doctors twice and they both wont give me back my HRT! but you all have given me so many suggestions. I will try them out one by one till I find something that does work! I really appreciate your help and advice. Thanks again.

Large quantities of Oil of Evening Primrose worked for me. Experiment to determine a dose for you. Sweating now is preferable to cancer later.

My doctor put me on evening primrose oil years ago for PMS and I still take it (had a hysterectomy 5 years ago) as well as black cohash. I have never taken HRT and I never have night sweats unless I run out and can't get to the store. I hope this helps you!

Hot flashes & all the rest is estrogen dominance. I think. You probably need to increase the progesterone amount.

Black Cohosh is available in health food stores and some grocery ones. It really works, has almost no side effects. I took it for a couple of years, and then didn't need it any more at all.

Those new doctors are not being mean, they are looking out for your best interest, and it's a darn good thing you aren't seeing your old doctor anymore!

Hormone Replacement Therapy Studies have shown 'definite' increases in strokes, heart attacks, blood clots, cardio vascular disease, breast cancer and Alzheimer's Disease because of those synthetic hormones :-(

I am not positive but seems common sense to me, and is most likely, you are still having to deal with those night sweats because the hormones simply delayed them while temporarily relieving them :-( I refused Hormone Replacement Therapy and my night sweats, along with other menopause symptoms, were gone in under two years. I am 56 and my night sweats symptoms started at just about the age you had a hysterectomy. Here's what helped me:

For Night Sweats:

Avoid any foods, alcohol, caffeine, exercise, hot liquids or smoking within 3 hours of going to bed. Drop the evening thermostat by about two or three degrees without adding more covers. Wear light bed clothing. If you feel stressed out from daily work or family events, take at least an hour before bedtime for some relaxing activity.

For Daytime Hot Flashes:

Try to avoid strong emotions, caffeine, alcohol, cayenne, synthetic clothing (wear cotton instead), heat. Exercise: walk, swim, dance or bicycle every day for 30 or more minutes but not within 3 hours of bedtime as mentioned above.

I hope I've been helpful.

Foot reflexology will get rid of the menopause problems. Working around the ankles is the general area as well as all the gland areas.

Learning some relaxation therapy might help too. When I 1st started having hot flashes a few years ago, I realized that if I got upset or emotional, they would get worse. I learned that when I felt one coming on, I could take deep relaxing breathes, relax my muscles & they would not be as bad. Of course this doesn't help with night sweats, but taking melatonin helped me sleep better.

Summer is the pits, I couldn't stay dry! I finally got smart & thought of those small, hand held, battery operated fans Walmart sells for $1. Kept 1 in the car,1 by my chair & 1 in my purse - HUGE, HUGE difference to blow it on my face & back of neck,cooled me right off in seconds!

They seemed to ease up a year ago, but 6 months ago were back with a vengeance, at least 3-5 an hour. Routine testing during my physical 2 months ago showed me to be diabetic & getting that under control has ended the hot flashes except maybe a couple of times a day. I just turned 48 & tests show me to be post-menopausal now.I never had to take any hormones.

When I was in my early 20s,I worked with a woman going through menopause. Every time she had a hot flash, the whole place knew about it because she would get so upset & emotional (nearly hysterical). I was horrified that I would have to go through that myself, but by the time I reached that age, I realized that it is just a fact of life & no use getting hysterical over. I don't know if my attitude helped make it so easy or if I was just lucky? My poor mom went through menopause in her late 30s, at 46 she had a serious head/brain injury & had to go through the whole thing again - only it was worse the 2nd time around!

My doctor recommended Black Cohash. Get the box that is a.m. and p.m. It will have a strip of white tablets and a strip of red ones. The red ones are for nighttime. They work great. The red ones have a strong smell but just hold your breath and swallow, they work wonderfully.

Thank you all so much. I knew I could depend on ThriftyFun to help me out! I'm going to try everything you all suggested to me one by one to see which one works the best for me. My daughter is going to pick up some black cohosh capsules from the pharmacy near her office. I've checked about it online and it seems a lot of women found relief with that so I'll start with that and see how it goes.

My mother was put on low dose birth control pills for controlling her sypmtoms. This was many years ago. You might want to ask your Dr. about doing that.

woman fanning herself
Remedy for Hysterectomy Induced Sweats and Weight Gain
Health & Beauty Home RemediesMarch 25, 2010
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Post-It Notes
Making a Post-It Note Holder
Post-It Notes
Saving Money on Post-its
🎄