Rubber Band to Remove Excess Paint from Brush

When painting, stretch a large, wide rubber band from the top to the bottom of the paint can so that the rubber band lays across the widest part of the opening. After dipping the brush into the paint, wipe it against the rubber band, instead of the lip, to remove excess paint. You'll be left with a clean can and the lid will be easier to replace.

Jennifer from Conyers, GA

That makes all the sense! You just changed the way I paint. Thanks!

So simple, yet SO helpful!

Just be careful about putting the rubber band on & off!

I was painting my son's closet door black with red, yellow & orange flames. Had the doors on sawhorses & outlined the flames. I set the can of black paint on the door to put the rubber band on it. As I was stretching it from top to bottom, the rubber band slipped & flipped the can out of my hands - black paint all over the door, the floor & me! LOL! Boy what a mess. I'm so glad it was just a small can of paint!

Lesson learned-after I cleaned up my mess, I ended up having to re-sand & re-primer the door because the black showed up through the flames.

Great idea, only one thing wrong, I read this the day after I painted! LOL

That is such a good idea.

But, I'm wondering how to get that paint filled rubber band off of the paint can without it popping off and splattering it everywhere.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingSeptember 11, 2007
Cleaning Hair from a Brush
Removing Hair from Brushes
A crafter using rubber stamps to decorate a handmade card.
Cleaning Rubber Stamps
Pile of Colorful Rubberbands
Using Rubber Bands to Make Stamps
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet