Stain Wood With Shoe Polish

Craft tip: If you have small pieces of unfinished wood that you would like stained, use liquid shoe polish. The applicator on the top helps keep your hands clean.

By Diane

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Hi. This is a pretty neat tip. I make my own knitting needles. I wonder if I can use the shoe polish to stain it? Would you have any advice. Thanks.

Hello !

I very unfortunately discovered that hair colour products are very good to stain wood and they are not greasy and would not stain the wool.

At least now my accidental wood staining experience can be useful to someone !

Really hope this helps !

Years ago, in my poorer and maybe more creative days, I used paste shoe polish to stain unfinished picture frames for pen and ink sketches I had made as gifts. I applied it with the polish brush and buffed it out with a buffing brush and a cloth. The frame was tooled so the polish was darker in the recessed spaces. It looked really good.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Opened tin of black shoe polish and a brush against a white background
Using Shoe Polish to Stain Wood
Crafts WoodworkingApril 2, 2004
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Shoe Polish
Cleaning Shoe Polish Stains on Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 21, 2016 at 9:28:20 AM on 10.0.2.232 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.