Patriotic Frame

This unique frame in a frame is embellished with any kind of decoration you want. Mine happened to be Americana for the 4th. You can pick Christmas, Valentine's Day, and so forth. With a bit of time and effort, you too can have this unusual frame for/of your loved one.

Approximate Time: 1.5 Hours

• two wooden frames, each with glass, one at least 8 by 10 and one about 3.5 by 5
  • your choice of craft paint/paints
  • acrylic glue
  • paint brush or sponge (preferred)
  • fabric, ribbon, or paper for background
  • white glue
  • book for weight
  • optional embellishments like buttons, etc.

Instructions:

1. I tried to get 2 frames that were almost identical. This turned out to be harder than I thought, since I went to thrift shops to get them. I came pretty close.
  2. I wanted the wood to look distressed, so I only put on one coat, knowing it would look "weathered."
  3. After each frame is painted and dried, I covered the glass with some Americana ribbon I had.
  4. I suggest you use paper or a fabric that is all one piece. My ribbon was 4 inch wide, but it had to be "chopped" around the smaller frame, and in the future I will use a solid piece.
  5. I used the white glue and the foam paint sponges for the fabric, making sure it dried good and didn't have any wrinkles. Take the glass out to do this, it helps a lot.
  6. While the paint and fabric/glue are drying, I put the photo into the smaller frame. When the larger glass is dried, place the smaller frame in the center and use the acrylic glue to put it on.
  7. Ad

8. Use a book to hold all the things together to let them dry, and decorate with smaller fabric images, buttons, or embellishments of your choice.

It was about 3 hours after I finished that I realized I had matched my grandson's shirt perfectly!

By Sandi from Coos Bay, OR