What Can I Use Instead of Bran?

I have a fruit bread recipe that calls for BRAN as well as the same amount of flour. I do not want to use bran, but what would I use in place of the bran. Thanks for any help you can give to me.

Connie from Cotter, AR

migth try using oatmeal. Oat bran is available

but you might try grinding regular oatmeal in a food processer until somewhatt fine and add the same amount to your recipe.

I do this with several recipes including cookies.

CascadeMom took the words right out of my mouth! I was going to suggest oatmeal for many reasons, the main one being the benefit of lowering cholesterol.

Stone-ground cornmeal. This is the kind that comes in a little paper bag. It is not gritty, it is as fine as flour.

(submitted via email)

I wish to thank MartyD, Cascademom and perfumedfan to their suggestions to help with a recipe for using something in place of bran. I'll try the ground oatmeal to a fine powder first, then I'll try the stone ground cornmeal and see which does the best job. Again, my many thanks to you three special people.

By Connie from Cotter, AR

Cream of Wheat, Malto-meal, oatmeal, whole wheat flour, ground flax seed, lots of possibilities ! The result might not have the same texture as when bran is used, but that's okay -- it's good to experiment !

How about using Oatmeal? You can grind it finer.

Connie aka Lulu

You probably could use dry cereal and grind it to the consistency of bran with a blender or food processor.

All the other suggestions sound great. Wheat germ would also work.

I used organic raisin bran, picked out the raisins and pulsed the flakes. It was delicious! (Should have left in the raisins! lol)

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsJanuary 31, 2008
Halloween treats made from bananas and oranges. The oranges look like pumpkins and the bananas look like ghosts.
Healthy Halloween Treats
Bran Muffin Recipes
Bran Muffin Recipes
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
A tablespoon of wheat bran.
Recipes Using Bran
🎉
🎄