Squeaky Brakes

I have fairly new brake pads, about 4 months old. I checked and they are still good. Now I have a squeaking noise when I put on the brakes and also, there is a lot of brake dust all over the pads, tires, etc. What is the cause and what should I do to fix this? Thanks for any suggestion.

By mldave from San Antonio, TX

Did all of the brakes get to be replaced? Or just the fronts or rears? I would check the brakes that weren't replaced first. Was a compound used between the new pads and caliper used to quiet the brakes? If not just pull the pads and spread of bit of pad quiet where the pad it is pushed by the caliper.

I don't know if this helps, but I live at the beach & the road in and out is sand. My brakes get sand on them & often squeak.

My husband is a retired master mechanic and he said that your back brakes are not holding and just your front ones are. He said evidently your wheel cylinders are possibly bad. He said to put on new brake shoes and new wheel cylinders. Hope that helps you.

I have had this problem with high performance brakes. Shims or not they will still sometimes squeal especially when backing up. Answer, remove the pads, lube the back of the pad with brake grease, place a piece of duct tape on the back of the pad and reinstall, no more squeal. I am not sure how long it will last but I have had some very fast cars run many hard miles braking at top speed without a sound. I have done the same with my Lexus and Merc's with positive results.

Man Pointing at Brake Rotor
Fixing Squeaky Brakes
Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceJune 1, 2009
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Oak Stairs
Fixing Squeaky Stairs
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
🎉
🎄