Painting Linoleum Tiles

My apartment is done out in beige-brown 12"x12" 60's-ish linoleum rec. room style tiles. Obviously *not* my choice. They're in pretty good repair (aside from one or two in the bathroom that have come up from a recent leaking toilet) but I hate the colour.

The landlord is happy to let me paint them over and I'd be willing to do that. But I'm not sure what kind of paint or treatment I should use. The kitchen and bathroom get quite a lot of traffic from me - and water splashing. The bedroom I would love to get all white and shiny.

Suggestion would be very helpful. Thanks.

Betty from Vancouver, BC

I would think that garage floor / cement paint would be able to handle that kind of wear and tear. I'd ask the people wherever you buy your paint. It comes in many colors.

I'm thinking of painting mine a dark grey color to resemble slate flooring. I was thinking of the paint used for porch flooring, but ask where you buy the paint.

Clean the floor - Lightly Sand the floor - Vacuum - Use wood filler in any places that need it, let dry, sand, and clean - Use an oil base primer (have it tinted if you plan to apply dark color) - Paint on just as you would a wall - Apply oil based top coat (could take 4 to 5 days to dry. - Apply second coat - Wait 4 to five days and add a urethane finish (be sure it is a floor urethane finish). Good Luck

What a small world, i'm googling 'painting old linoleum floor', your dilemma is so similar! I too live in a 60s old apt, thankfully it's hardwood flooring except for the galley kitchen and bathroom which have hideous boring beige/brown lino (same stuff in both, must've been on sale), hate it, so I am going to paint it as a cheap solution for a renter.

Good luck Betty

Make sure you buy your floor paint from a traditional paint store. The big box stores do not even carry the correct type of paint you should use. If you buy the correct type of paint you never need to put a clear "protective" coat on your floors.

A can of blue paint.
Painting Vinyl (or Linoleum) Flooring
Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringApril 16, 2006
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Cleaning Discolored Linoleum
🎉
🎄