Store Canned Foods Upside Down

Living in the South, it seems like dust will accumulate out of nowhere in no time at all, including inside my cabinets. No matter how diligent I am about dusting, before I can turn around, it's back!

I used to store my canned goods right side up. But just about every time I would get one out to use, I'd have to wipe the dust off the top before opening it. Well I finally figured out a simple and so obvious way to fix this problem, I was upset with myself for taking so long to think of it! LOL

I simply store my canned goods upside down! I wipe them off (since many times they are dusty from the grocery store), then just turn them upside down when I put them in the cabinet. Now all I have to do is pull a can out and open it right away. No more dusting before opening! Since I open from the top of the can, I don't worry about the bottom of it being dusty.

Especially in summer, every second saved in a hot kitchen means a lot to me!

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

I always wash the tops of cans before opening. When I use my can opener some of the juice from the food gets on the top of the cans. Who knows what little beasties have walked on it in the store.

Same here, I run a soapy sponge over the top of the can before I open it. Not just because of the "beasties", but even more so because of all the hands that touched it before mine & probably most of them not washed! Glad to know I'm not the only one worried about germs,sometimes I feel paranoid!

But turning them upside down does keep the dust down, mine seem to be dusty every time I get them out of the pantry too. I've als heard, & discovered that turning them upside down really helps with things like beans & food that sticks to the bottom, turn them upside down & they stick to the lid instead.

My can opener is relatively new, but it cuts a tiny bit of the paper label causing it to leave tiny pieces of the label which can fall into the food. For that reason, I've started removing the label and just washing the whole can.

I was rather surprised to find that some labels have glue that has darkened next to the can. This might be just a particular type of glue, but it didn't look very clean. We've always wiped the tops of cans before opening them, but now, I feel better just washing the whole can. It only takes a minute and it

gives me a little peace of mind.

The way things are these days, we don't know where half of what we're using is coming from, or how or what it was made of to begin with. I take every precaution I know, and am always looking for other tips about doing more.

Thanks for mentioning this. We all have to be more careful now about ways to protect our families including our pets.

Organizing Canned Goods
Organizing Canned Goods
Food and Recipes StorageJune 23, 2011
Growing Tomatoes Upside Down
Growing Tomatoes Upside Down
Muffin Tin Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Muffin Tin Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipes
Pineapple Upside Down Cake on Glass Plate
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipes
Upside Down Cake
Upside Down Cake Recipes