Solar Lights to Help Older Dogs See

Over the years, we have been blessed with many dogs that have achieved old age. As they did, their vision was often compromised because of cataracts or macular degeneration. When outside during daylight hours, we often observed them following the fence to guide themselves around the perimeter of the yard. However at night, the same task seemed more difficult for them and they often became confused.

We decided to place solar garden lights as markers to help guide them out to their potty area and back in again. Single solar lights followed the outline of the fence to the area they frequented to do their business. We then placed double lights (side-by-side in sets of two) to mark the path that would return them back to the house to come in. They quickly found their way at night by following the lighted paths!

The solar garden lights helped relieve their anxiety about navigating the fenced yard at night. The lights are found at most stores that sell garden equipment and push easily into the ground on a stake. They sure made a difference for our older sight impaired dogs!

By Sheltie Mom from Eastern Shore of MD

Animal friendly and earth friendly! Perfect!

Marg from England

What a great idea! I also have one dog that is getting up in age. I think I'll start this year teaching her this so that if her eyesight does fail she'll already know about it.

By the way, Wal Mart has some great ones that come 8 to a box for $20. I've had these along my driveway and the front of the house now for about 3 months and I love them. They also have some that are $4 each, but when you figure $4 x 8 lights, the box works out much cheaper,

Thank you for the excellent idea and to Cricketnc for the shopping suggestion. I have a 14 year old yellow lab who is really struggling with nighttime potty time. I'm trying this right away.

Great idea that I will use for Kato. He's almost 12 and has some cataracts. Thank you!

Grandma Jan & Kato the Wonder Dog

What an excellent idea. We have a senior dog & an electrically challed porch light that never works so this is just what I need. Thank you so much!

That is a great idea for older dogs. Now if I could just find a way for the light to stay in the ground. I have an older dog and a younger one. The younger one takes the lights out of the ground and carries them around.

What a great idea! Thank you for letting us all know. We all certainly appreciate your wonderful suggestion. So nice of you to be so kind to your fur babies.

An old english sheep dog sitting on its owners lap.
Caring for a Senior Dog
Pets AdviceMay 22, 2009
Solar light mounted on interior house wall
Using Solar Yard Lights
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Inside a solar porch.
Solar Heating Porch
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
🎉
🎄