Cotton Table Cloth Has Yellowed

I have a 100% cotton table cloth and washed it on full cycle with about 1/2 cup of bleach. It came out yellow. I've tried vinegar wash, soda wash, with salt, hanging it outside in the sun and to no avail it's still yellow looking. Needless to say all the other linens came out fine.

Lina from Mead, WA

I've whitened dingy whites by using Oxyclean and boiling water. I make a strong solution and soak my things in this for hours (sometimes overnight) and they come out white again. It really worked well on some things my grandmother made 77 years ago and didn't damage them.

I sounds as though the cloth may contain something other than 100% cotton (regardless if the tag says otherwise), like nylon or other non-organic fiber. I would probably put it back out in the sunshine, turning it every day for a week or more.

You might also try using a "bluing" agent, such as Mrs. Stewart's Bluing.

I read somewhere that if white garment was pre-treated with a whitening agent, that the manufacturer says you shouldn't use bleach on it for it would turn it yellow. It sounds as if this has happened in your case.

Have you tried any "Rust Out" cleaners? I have used it to whiten items in the past, and it worked well.

Home and Garden Cleaning FabricSeptember 22, 2008
Linen Tablecloth
Removing Yellow Stains from Linen
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
Yellowed Refrigerator Handles
Cleaning Yellowed Refrigerator Handles
Removing Permanent Marker from Hair
Flair Pen on Cotton Clothing
🎉
🎄