Strawberry Jam Did Not Set

I made strawberry jam, it didn't set. Can I do anything to correct this?

By Ruth

Best Answer

Homemade strawberry jam is yummy. But what do you do if it is runny. Read on for a recipe to fix failed strawberry jam.

It is summer. Strawberry season is winding down. Raspberries and blueberries are just around the corner. Berries are just wonderful; about anyway you can eat them. I enjoy them fresh in a bowl, on my cereal or ice cream, in a frosty smoothy or in a pie. Come fall and winter, there is nothing like homemade strawberry jam on your favorite toast or on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

There are many good recipes for jam. I used a standard boxed pectin recipe with fresh picked strawberries from a local farm. My mouth was watering for homemade strawberry jam. I have not ever had a failure in my jam making, but this year I did. It was runny. It would make a great ice cream Sunday topper.

Most cooking mistakes can be fixed, so I researched my options. I called the 800 number on the pectin box. The help line operator had no information on how to fix runny jam. Next I called the local Cooperative Extension. Over the years, I have found them to be a great source of information. This year, they came to the rescue, again.

Here is the recipe to fix failed strawberry jam. You can use this recipe to fix up to 8 cups of runny jam. These portions are per cup of jam.

2 tablespoons of sugar

1 tablespoon of water

1 1/2 teaspoons powdered pectin

Mix pectin and water; bring them to a boil while you are stirring constantly. Add runny strawberry jam and sugar and stir constantly. Bring the mixture to a full rolling boil over high heat. Boil for ½ minute. Then remove the pot from heat. Skim the top of an foam that may have formed. Put jam in hot jars and use new lids. Process the jam in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Let the jars sit over night.

There is nothing like homemade strawberry jam. I invite you to try your hand at making a batch. If you have ever made jam and it didn't set up, don't be discouraged. Tuck this recipe away with your jam recipe for future reference and "just in case." It does work. I tried it this year! Yum. You can visit me at

good luck.

What do you mean by process the jam in a hot water bath? Set the jars in hot water for 10 minutes?

Best Answer

There is a recipe on the bottom of the instructions in the pectin box, depending on if you made jam or jelly. I have a batch of peach jelly that I have to remake because it did not set. Just remember to use new caps when reprocessing. Good luck!

I don't know of any way to correct your problem. I don't know how much strawberry jam you have made, but don't throw it in the garbage.

Freeze it in containers, and use it for ice cream toppings, or use it as a fruit filling between layers of a white cake. And you can even bake some cookies and use it as a filling for the top of the cookies, such as thumb print cookies.

Here is a great website full of recipes:

Do some research on Google and find other uses for strawberry jam.

I have made jam with my bread machine and have not had any issues. Sorry.

Growing Strawberries
Strawberry Jam and Jelly Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesJuly 2, 2010
Runny Jam
Fixing Runny Jam
A slice of toast with grape jelly on it.
Grape Jam Recipes
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes