What is This Fruit and How Do I Prepare It?

I bought some little fruits at the store on Saturday. They are the size of a pear, with skin much the same as a pear, but with no stem. They are very juicy, but bitter like a very sharp dill pickle. What on earth are these things and how do I prepare them?

By Marty

I have no idea, did they have a sign telling what it is? Good luck.

I'd look at the sticker and call (or visit) the store and ask what they are. How odd!

I see that they have little stickers on them. Those usually have some sort of info on them. What does the sticker say? Even if it's not a complete name/description, it might be a helpful clue.

They look almost like a mango but I find mangoes to be sweet. http://www.freshmangoes.com/images/3atualfos.jpg

If the produce sticker does not have a name it should still have a PLU number that you can look up to see what it is.

I called the store and asked about the number on the tag. It is a type mango. The produce man said he didn't know if it was supposed to be so sour but offered me another one if that one was bad. Thanks for all your responses.

It's a mango pickle and there are recipes online about preparation. A friend told me. We have a lot of exotic produce in the stores in Houston since it is an international city, but this is the craziest one I've seen. Thanks for trying to help me.

I have a mango tree, and they look like mangoes. Mangoes, if they are ripe, are sweet, juicy, and delicious. Maybe you got one that wasn't ripe or maybe it's something that just looks like a mango.

I'm pretty sure it's a yellow mango - almost the same as a regular mango, but the skin is yellow and the flesh more yellow (unlike a regular mango that has almost a multicolour skin (green, orange, reddish) and an almost orange flesh inside). I've bought these quite often. When they're ripe their juicy and delicious - but unripened quite hard, and sour. Let them ripen a few days on your kitchen counter. They're ripe when you squeeze them and they give a little under the pressure. I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

I feel so silly! After all that folderol I let my mystery fruit set for a few days. I cut a bite off one of them and discovered they are mangoes sweet as can be and juice running down my chin and shirt.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I saw these while shopping this morning, next to the "regular" mangoes. I bought a couple. I'll wait a day or two, and hopefully they won't be sour! :-)

Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitMarch 16, 2010
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Dried Fruit Bark
Dried Fruit Bark Recipes
cherry cobbler
Fruit Cobbler Recipes
Small stack of nectarines against white background.
Peeling Nectarines
🎉
🎄