Old Food Stains on a Tablecloth

How do you remove stains from a cotton tablecloth that was washed and stored away for a year? We think it is some kind of food protein. Please help.

Eugene from Newark, OH

Learned this trick when I had my kids Try some of the product called Lestoil. You can buy it at walmart cheap. Back in the day formula with iron left horriable stains on baby clothes and this is what I used to get them out on clothes that had been given to me that had already been washed. Of course they tried everything to get the stain out but my lestoil got it out every time. You will need to wash it again or hang it out because this cleaner does have a strong smell.

Soak the stains with hydrogen peroxide, leave it until it stops fizzing. Then wash it. May have to repeat several times. Ellen

I wanted to put the white back in a christening dress that had been stored for years. I soaked it in peroxide and warm water. It worked great.

I've had great success with the following soak: 1 scoop Biz, 1 scoop OxyClean, 3/4 cup Ammonia, 1 gallon hot water. Mix all ingredients in a large tub, sink, or plastic bucket. Add the stained linen and let it soak for several hours or even overnight. Every so often with a heavy wooden spoon or stick, agitate the water. Remove and wash as usual in Tide soap. Air dry. by Jani

I have a cotton crochet tablecloth that has turned yellow . I don't know if it is from age or what it had been washed in. How or what can I use to get it white again

Could anyone tell me what 'BIZ' is and where I can find it? Thanks!

Editor's Note: It is a type of laundry detergent. Here is a link with some information, the company website doesn't seem to be working so the product might be no longer available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biz_(detergent)

BIZ-an old standby from thee 60's and 70's. I found it at Walmart. . online.

BIZ-an old standby from the 60's & 70's. I found it today at Walmart online.

January 4, 2007 Flag

My husband's mother gave us one of her mother's beautiful white tablecloths, the only problem is that it has a big coffee stain (I think) on it! I have tried washing it with oxyclean this did not work. Will a paste of oxyclean hurt it? It is very old and I do not want to wear a hole in it.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I would like to use this tablecloth for Thanksgiving. I thought about tea staining the whole thing to match the stain. It would be pretty but I am afraid that the stain will get darker and I will be back where I started from.

Thanks for any advice!

sarah_bellum

Answers:

Old Tablecloth With An Old Stain to Match

You can try this-it has worked well for me. I do a lot of thrift shopping for kids clothes and I have been able to remove a lot of set in stains. Get a big bucket and fill it with very hot water. Add 1 cup of laundry detergent and 1/2 cup of powder dishwasher detergent. Let sit at least 24 hours. When you wash in the machine, add the same of both detergents to the washload. Good luck. (10/27/2004)

By angelpitts

I have had great success with BIZ and Clorox II. Take a plastic bucket and put about 1 cup of each in a gallon of your hottest water. Stir it until it is dissolved then fill bucket to 3/4th full with cold water, stir and then add your stained article. I have soaked things for up to 5 days. If, when you check it you can still see some stain, leave it for another day or two! I rescued two beautiful baptismal gowns that had been stored away for 30 years. When they were unpacked they had horrible old formula stains! They came out snowy white and stain free! I have used the dry dishwasher detergent too but I would caution against using it on anything very old and fragile as it is pretty harsh. Good Luck! (10/27/2004)

If nothing else works, spray it with oven cleaner, wait 10 min (like ez-off) and then was as usual. Chefs use this to get food stains out of their white jackets. (10/27/2004)

By lindal

I soak the stain in lemon juice and set it out in the sun. You may have to do this more than once. I usually set the item on the truck of the car since you need to spread the stained area out on a flat surface. (10/27/2004)

By Ann

If the stain is in fact a coffee stain and it was black coffee with no milk or cream, try this: hold the part of the cloth with the stain on it over a sink or bathtub and pour boiling water onto and through it. I had a tablecloth that had a very old coffee stain on it and this worked; it took a couple of teapots full of boiling water, but the stain came out. Won't work as well if there was milk or cream in the stain, though! (10/27/2004)

By Lynn from Calif.

I'm wondering if you thought of staining the entire tablecloth with coffee to give it an antiqued look? Rather than work so hard to get out that "one bad apple", maybe it's time to apply "if you can't beat em join em".
(10/28/2004)

By melody_yesterday

My mom has used a solution she read of years ago. She used equal parts of 20 mule team borax and dishwasher powder (Cascade, I think). A Tablespoon and 1/2 of each. I keep an old diaper pail by my laundry to do presoak - I love that the lid locks down! (10/28/2004)

By melody_yesterday

I have used oxiclean as a paste and have had excellant results. I made a paste and covered the stain and rolled up the article so the paste is on the stain and let it set for 24 hours. This is very gentle on a delicate fabric. Another good one for stains is Yellow Out but may be damaging to older fabric, but I use this a lot in place of bleach. Good Luck! (10/28/2004)

By Charlotte

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
white tablecloth
Removing Food Stains from Tablecloths
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsJanuary 4, 2007
Tablecloth Dress
Making a Tablecloth Dress
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Lace Tablecloth
Repairing a Lace Tablecloth
Family Eating Together Using Placemats
Keeping Your Tablecloth and Placemats Clean
🎉
🎄