Iron Leaks Black Liquid Onto Clothes

For years now I have had problems with irons intermittently spitting out some kind of black liquid onto shirts while I am ironing. It happens when I am either steam ironing or not.

I have changed irons many times, but eventually it happens again.The stains, sometimes a whole spray of them are impossible to remove and I have to throw the shirt away. It is very distressing. It seems to defy logic. The stains appear on the ironing board cover as well and look like black used oil or small black ink stains.

Any solutions ?

By Dom C.

Do you empty out all the water after each use? How often do you clean out the iron as per the manual instructions? It's important to keep the tank clean if not this will continue to happen.

It could be your water, too. Do you ever have spots on clothing fresh from the washing machine? Hard water will do that.

I only used distilled water in my iron and never have a problem. Got spots like you mention once after using an iron in a hotel room to press a shirt. I assume it was because only tap water was available.

Just finished a quilt. When ironing, black streaks. I cleaned iron with vinegar. I soaked quilt in borax. All streaks were gone after soaking for 30 minutes.

Steam Iron Leaving Black Streaks on Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesMay 20, 2011
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
🎄