Use Waxed Paper To Lower Summer Cooling Costs

When trying to keep the Western sun window cooler in the summer, how does one use the wax paper method? The shiny-side in?

Use bubble wrap instead, even recycled/leftover bubble wrap. Check out this web page for a great way to use bubble wrap to insulate windows. All you do is wet the window pane (inside room) with plain water, stick the 'cut to fit size' bubble wrap on the glass, and leave it. It says you can even use second hand bubble wrap from furniture, shipping, etc. I haven't had the chance to do this yet, but I'm going to make time very soon. I hope you can get to this website!

Shiny side? Aren't you talking about foil? At least that is what I have always used and waxed paper doesn't have a shiny side. However, I love learning new things so let the learning begin!

This is such a great question! I am about to move to a floor level apartment in my building and the bedroom window is going to be on the public walkway side. I hate having to keep the blinds closed for privacy and not be able to get light in the room :-( I was dreading having to spend the money for the special window treatment (that gives privacy and still blocks the worst heating rays of the sun) you can buy at home stores where you place slightly soapy water on the window, apply the coverings, use a squeegee to smooth out bubbles and cut edges with an exacto knife.

Anyway, wax paper will most likely work just as well so I am going to try it using the same process! If that process won't work I'll just use clear two sided sticky tape. The only difference in applying is there will be a little more work because it won't be one large, wide sheet like the store application but it will have the same effect as the store bought ;-)

If you did mean foil, please don't do it unless you have no immediate neighbors. It's tacky and they have to look at it. As a matter of fact, it's against the law in some city's, towns, counties. If you don't have neighbors who have to look at it and not against your local codes, put it non-shiny side out ;-)

Wax Paper on Wood Table
Uses for Wax Paper
Home and Garden Home Improvement CoolingJune 25, 2009
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
Woman Using Fan to Cool Off
Reducing Energy Usage in the Summer
Woman Cooling Her Home With Additional Insulation
Cooling Your Home
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips