Salt Free and Low Sodium Foods

I would like to know where is some of the best places to find salt free or low sodium foods. Such as canned foods.

Do you have a Sav-A-Lot grocery store? The one we have here has canned vegetables and beans for the same price as Aldi, but they offer no-salt-added varieties, too.

Most major brands of canned vegetables offer "no salt" varieties. To use canned tuna or chicken, rinse the liquid off under the faucet in a large strainer or collander. Frozen or fresh vegetables are salt-free. Avoid all deli-type meats, cured meats like bacon, ham, corned beef, etc. Instead, use fresh, lean meats like beef, pork, chicken, fish, turkey. Avoid prepared baked goods. Learn to read nutrition labels for sodium content and compare brands, types, and possible substitutions. Ask your medical professional for a number of grams of sodium you are allowed and remember there are 1000 miligrams in each gram. You may be able to have more than you think. Mrs. Dash makes some really good salt-free seasonings. My favorites are the extra spicy and the table blend. It takes some real concentration at first, but it soon becomes second nature. Good luck! QMJ

I am the manager of a specialty retail food store called Low Sodium Connections,Inc. located in Winston Salem,NC. Our store has been open for a few months now and just about everyday new customers come in and express how relieved they are to have a store like this.

I and the owner spend vast amounts of time researching for new products and locating companies and so on. We're here to help so if you know of anyone living in or around our area,tell them to give us a shout! Thanks!

Editor's Note Here is a link on making them:

if you Google Salt Free Pickles you will find some sources. There are a few companies that make them.

For tortilla chips, my husband bought some corn flour tortillas with low sodium, and I cut them up and dried them in the oven at 250 for an hour. Not as salty, but works great with salsa or cheese, and my little boy liked them too. About 12 8" tortillas made a gallon storage bag; just look for the least expensive, because bagged chips are ALWAYS too expensive! Watch what kind of cheese you buy too, american is one of the worst for sodium, but most have the labels for you to compare. Be sure to stay away from caffiene if possible, because that will make you retain and sodas can have a lot of sodium.

HEALTHY HEART FOODS, My husband has renal problems due to years of high blood pressure and I buy many of our food items from Healthy Heart. Great pasta sauce, pickles, etc.

I'm always looking for places selling Salt Free or Low Sodium foods. I run a website called "The Rice Way" devoted to the rice diet and my community is always looking for ways to spice up their diets with new foods and recipes....

IF anybody has any info related to low salt foods please get back to me, thanks muchly :)

I absolutely LOVE the salt free spice blends that NutriFit makes. I have been on a low salt diet for a while now and these may be the best I've found. They have a great variety of flavors that liven up any dish, and I don't even miss salt anymore! I buy them here: ... Store_Code=NF&Category_Code=NFSB

Cooking With Low Salt
Cooking With Low or No Salt
Food and Recipes Food Tips DietingDecember 21, 2004
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
low salt recipes
Low Sodium Recipes
Protein Powder
Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments