Preventing Static Shock

I am looking for help with static electricity on door knobs, light switches, etc. You know the generally annoying type. I found some answers on Thriftyfun like wearing a safety pin and spraying carpet with diluted fabric softener. I haven't tried them yet. I am wondering what other solutions are out there. Thanks.

By Viki from Abbeville, AL

Best Answer

I had the same problem. I put 1/3 fabric softer to 2/3 water in a spray bottle and lightly spray furniture and carpets. Another solution is to get moisture in the house. Either buy a humidifier or simply boil some water. You can also use the spray in your car.

Just be careful boiling water on a gas stove. It can build up carbon monoxide in your home. It happened to me and set off my alarms. I didnt know what caused it until the firemen told me.

Best Answer

In all probability you have low humidity in your house. A humidifier will rectify this problem. Just take care not to overhumidify. If you do condensation will appear on windows.

I was going to mention low humidity in your home can cause the problem too. And if you happen to be a foot shuffle type of walker instead of lifting your feet up off of the floor type of walker makes a difference too. ;-)

Like someone else said "purchase a humidifier. I was waking up in the middle of the night with a very dry throat and coughing a lot. And getting shocked when touching things. I bought a cheap humidifier at WalMart for under $20 and it helps a lot.

I was wondering if you used the dryer sheets on them if it would work. I might wet them lightly. Let me know if this works.

January 19, 2011 Flag

Tired of all the static and getting shocked when you touch a metal object every time you walk across the carpet wearing fluffy PJ's, sweaters or robes? Here is a nifty thrifty trick!

Pin a steel safety pin under your garment, it grounds you from the shock! I always have a safety pin here and there and realized that I don't get shocked when I have one pinned on!

By Missy MM from OH

Answers:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 14, 2010 Flag

To prevent static shock, place two tablespoons of fabric softener in one quart of water. Put this in a spray bottle and mist the carpet in your automobile and also in your home.

By Pauline from Arcanum

Answers:

Preventing Static Shock

Thank you for this great tip. (11/30/2006)

By meoowmom

Preventing Static Shock

Thanks for the tip. I have more problem, what about the static you get when opening doors for example? Thanks. (12/01/2006)

By

Preventing Static Shock

Touch something that is earthed, e.g. a radiator, a water pipe etc. (09/17/2007)

By dan

Preventing Static Shock

Thank you!

Jennifer, Northern Virginia (12/01/2006)

By ILuvDobes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Static Electricity
Preventing Static Electricity
Home and Garden Cleaning TipsJanuary 19, 2011
Microfiber couch with pillows
Reducing Static Electricity From Microfiber Furniture
Closeup of HDMI Cable
Saving Money on HDMI Cables
Remedies for Static Hair
Remedies for Static Hair
Saving Money on a TV
Saving Money on a TV
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 2:36:39 PM on 10.0.1.145 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.