My Frugal Life: Living Frugally in Puerto Rico

No one plans to be old, alone, disabled and broke. But things happen. My Frugal Life

October: Cold, and winter ahead. By chance, I see an offer for a very cheap flight to Puerto Rico. I sold what little I had left and away I went. That was then.

Now I live in a simple well constructed home that sits on a half acre tract of land.

Monthly Budget: $400.00 per month.

• Utilities: Water, electric, propane, phone, internet and satellite: $100.00
  • Food: $200.00
  • Everything Else: $100.00

This is how I manage: I keep city water use to a minimum by collecting rain water to use for house cleaning and agriculture. Electric use is kept to a minimum by using high efficiency light bulbs, and appliances like an office size refrigerator and a small chest freezer. I wash clothes using a plastic bucket or tub and a stick. Have solar clothes dryer and a solar water heater.

Food Management:

Staples: Flour, oats, rice, garlic, peas, carrots, potatoes, meat, butter, cheese, milk, salt, sugar, yeast, coffee, olive oil, nuts, beans, and soaps. These I buy as needed, in bulk, once a month.

Everything else, including some beans and nuts I grow or know where to get it free. Like fish; I walk to a nearby lake and am allowed to catch seven per day. I bake my own bread and cook everything else from scratch.

One needs very little clothes here. T shirts, shorts and crocs will do for most days. A light jacket and jeans for the rest.

Zerocashwealth from San Sebastian, Puerto Rico

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

How enterprising of you!

The skyline of San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico Frugal Travel Guide
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeApril 8, 2009
A woman clipping coupons for the first time.
Starting to Live Frugally
plantains
Making Mofongo
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
🎉
🎄