Killing Algae in Backyard Fishpond

Is there a recipe for vinegar to use in backyard ponds with fish? The pond has algae on top. I want to kill the algae without killing fish. The algae is taking the oxygen away from the fish. Please help.

By Shirley from Little Rock, AR

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Clean as much out as you can and then take an onion bag and fill it with straw.This should keep the algae away. I don't know about the vinegar it might kill the fish.

I wouldn't use vinegar without checking with a reliable source. I had a fish pond for years with no problem. Do you have any plants in the pond? Water hyacinths are supposed to help. In the house, I have algae eaters in the aquarium.

I've seen products for sale called barley straw balls, which is supposed to deter the formation of the algae, so I would think you could try wheat or oat straw, if that's more readily available to you, but you should try to give it some sort of floating assistance, like tie on a sealed empty plastic bottle.

Good luck!

Jo

BTW, vinegar will change the pH of the water and could easily kill your fish.

Jo

I use a product called AlgaeFix. It is safe for fish & plants, I have aprroximately 25 fish in my pond & lots of plants & have never had an issues. It works very well.

Controlling Algae in a Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Pets FishJune 4, 2010
mouse peeking out of a hole in a loaf of bread
Getting Rid of Mice Without Killing Them
small boat on a lake with green algae on top and sides
Removing Algae from a Boat
Preventing Algae in Pet Water Bowls
Preventing Algae in Pet Water Bowls
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 1:55:39 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.