Christmas Gift Ideas for My Dad With Alzheimer's

My 77 year old father has Alzheimer's disease and I haven't got a clue what to get him for christmas. Any idea's would be welcome.

Tulapip from Hampshire UK

Best Answer

What is you make him a family video diary. There are tons of computer programs that offer the support you need to do this. They are quite easy to make. You can round up years of family photos, home movie clips, new family clips can be made, talk about "favorite memories or past-times", maybe add vacation exerps...

Then he can watch this over and over and over.

Best Answer

Hi Tulapip!!! I like the idea of the family video diary. I thought a scrap book of family and friends would be nice, too (with names, places, etc). He can "thumb" through it any time. May God bless you and your family :) My mother in law has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, also.

Best Answer

I have read about Alzheimer studies that show that one type of memory that doesn't seem to be affected is musical memory. Many patients with severe memory loss can still remember and play music they've heard throughout their lives. Anyway, I thought it might be nice to get some recordings of music that was popular when he was young. Having something he'll find familiar and comforting might make him happy.

Best Answer

Maybe something like a busy board. We had a man in nursing home I worked in and they took a square of plywood(or something) and put a hasp ,and other things he could "workwith. It has been many years now so hard for me to remember all that was on it but maybe the idea will inspire someone to come up with something like it for you. God Bless.

Best Answer

Make a family photo album with stories----make it into a book!

Make a basket with things that comfort him----things he loves or used to love.

Take him for car rides where he grew up or just out and about.

Best Answer

I made tapes of my Dad's favorite music from his earlier years.....They seened to sooth him and some days appeared to make him more aleart. Hope this idea helps...Good luck

Best Answer

warm fleece blanket and sturdy bedroom slippers

Best Answer

i knew someone who had that situation and the elderly would leave the house for a walk. yet on returning would forget the way. for safety of you father i suggest an identification bracelet or necklace.

I love the idea of a scrapbook. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant. Just a little 4x6 photo book with some of his memorable events or family members would be nice.

Many of these older folk have trouble dressing and being dressed. Nice jogging outfits sure help.

my aunt loved looking at old photos. you know black and white when she and mom were young women.

My Dad had Alzheimers and got to where he would want certain items under his feet or around him all the time. We got a bright red metal tool box (about$10 at WalMart) and put some of his favorite things in the tool box. This way he was able to keep up with his treasures.

There is a wonderful catalog for this condition, there is a wealth of things to choose from.

The address is WWW.alzstore.com

1800-752-3238 for a hands on catalog.

Hope this helps, my uncle had this also, I know how hard it can be. Best of luck.

Hi

My dad about the age has the same disease. He worked for the railway most of his life. And was raised on a farm. so bought him books with huge coloured photos of trains and related stuff. Did the same for the farm one...machinery ect. This brought back memories of days of old and he was able to chat about it. Most of these books can be found at discount stores as they are not big sellers. How about his own calendar , big numbers with his name on it. Helps to keep track of the days. good luck

Check out HarvardRanch.com - they have a nice selection of large print books that have been been well-received by alzheimer's patients and their caregivers.

Hi -

How about crossword puzzles or word search books? It's great exercise for the brain.

www.alzheimersteam.com

So often these individuals are 'in their own world' and are hard to reach. Giving them something that provides tactile stimulation and is familiar and comforting will help to keep them calm and content. I like the tool box idea. For my own grandmother, I gave her a TwiddleCat because she used to have a cat. You can buy them at www.twiddlemuff.com

Look at this PRWeb article <http://www.prweb.com/releases/Alzheimers/Gifts/prweb4843994.htm> about a web store that has hundreds of great gift ideas for people with dementia. Once you find something, be sure to investigate the whole site. It's loaded with great information.

Great article, crabjack. Here is the link directly to the store: store.best-alzheimers-products.com

or check out the informational website: best-alzheimers-products.com

Helping Someone With Alzheimer's
Helping a Loved One with Alzheimer's
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts AdviceOctober 24, 2006
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
daughter and step dad
Gift Ideas for a Step Dad
Super Dad Doll
Making a Super Dad Doll
🎄