Drying Freezer Bags

I wash and reuse freezer bags, except the ones that had chicken in them. I know some people turn the bags inside out to dry. I don't do this because I always seem to tear the ends of the "zippers". What I do is take a section of a "select-a-size" paper towel, fold it in half and put it in the bag, then press the bag flat. You can zip the bag shut if you want to, but this is not necessary.

The towel absorbs the water. Remove the paper towel when bag and towel are dry. Save the paper towel because it can be used in another bag, or for general cleaning. You can keep using the same towel in several bags. Saves money on paper towels and freezer bags. If you use a lot of bags, the savings can really add up. Try it, you will like this method.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

Thanks, Linda.

I always air dry so I end up with bags all over the counter. Good idea since we can re-use the paper towels.

Tracey in Jacksonville, FL

I re-use mine too but I have a couple of tall bottles that I use to put the bags over and they drip dry on a towel.

My mother always hung washed plastic bags on the clothesline!

She also washed & reused tin foil.

I tend to open the washed baggie and carefully place it over something on the drainboard to dry. It ends up looking like a pup tent. I use more sandwich-size baggies, so hubby's gotten used to seeing baggies tented over my small coffee cups.

The larger baggies I tent over a 12-ounce tumbler or taller item. So, I don't even need a paper towel. Besides, hubby uses enough paper towels for both of us (frown!) I think my paper towel boycott is getting his attention, though, so there's still hope.

My freezer bags last me forever because I always use the storage bags to store my food into first them I put the bag into the freezer bag this way the only one that gets dirty and I throw away is the storage bags and I just dry the freezer bag and reuse again and again. The storage bags I use are the ones that do not have the zipper but the one that use the twist tie. This way I am also able to put several items in one freezer bag and just take out the portions I need and leave the rest for another time. Hope this can help someone.

I hang my washed baggies upside down on the side of my refrigerator with a magnet inside. The bag hangs open and quickly dries.

Its not good to reuse freezer bags that have already been used for freezing. They are recyclable & therefore release toxins as they age. Better to reuse for all types of storage but just not food. Thought everyone knew this by now-its old news!

Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Food and Recipes StorageFebruary 19, 2009
Zip Top Bag With Strawberries
Using Zip Top Bags
Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Drying Oranges
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Freezer bag full of strawberries.
Saving Money on Freezer Bags
🎉
🎄