Removing Ink Obscuring Label

I'm restoring an old instrument (hurdy gurdy) and some time in the past, somebody covered over the makers name label with blue ink. I've taken it off and by holding up to the light I can more or less see what's written underneath, but the date is partially obscured. The label was written in black, presumably India ink. Now how do I clean away the blue ink without removing the black underneath? Any ideas? Thanks.

I have the same issue and still dont know how to remove the stain. Did you come up with any solutions to this?

Try some rubbing alcohol. Good at dissoving ink.

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousAugust 5, 2008
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
Ballpoint Pen
Removing Pen Ink from Walls
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather