Recycling Plastic Soda Bottle Caps

In the last few years, Aveda Cosmetics started recycling plastic soda bottle caps. They made a strong case for the fact that land and marine animals suffer when the mothers mistake these things for food and feed them to their young, accidentally killing the babies. Unfortunately, Aveda stopped taking these recently. Not all recyclers will take these small things.

Any ideas as to where these can be recycled or how they can be used en mass? Please, can somebody give me a workable solution to this almost unaddressed problem?

By Jacquelyn

If you go to Earth911.com and search for where you can recycle the lids, you'll find an answer! (I'm an environmental educator, and applaud your willingness to recycle - when you find out what litter does to our land and habitat, it just breaks your heart, so thanks for being so responsible!)

Another option is to reuse the lids as decorative pieces (glue several pieces and sizes, all the same color or different, into a frame) or game pieces, or donate them to after-school programs and encourage kids to make things for Earth Day ("snakes", bugs, etc.); the activity could also include some education about the need for recycling!

You can also check with your local waste company, they may not take the tops with the bottles, but you might be able to put them into your general recycle bin.

If you can't find a recycling place to take them, put them in your trash. As long as the trash goes to a landfill no animals or sea life can get to them. It is the ones thrown by the wayside or into the ocean and lakes that cause the problem.

I think the issue is that sometimes even if they start out in the landfill, they can eventually end up in the ocean. And plastic bags are really bad for the animals too. I saw a documentary about it. It's sad. :(

Anonymous

I so wish that Horst Rechelbacher would never have sold his Aveda company to the conglomerate Estee Lauder company. :-( As soon as Lauder took it over they slowly began becoming more and more unsustainable and that's why I quit selling Aveda products in my salon (and my salon was a Concept Salon) before I retired.

In any event, if you can't find a recycling center that will take them in your area you could call around to retirement homes and assorted types of schools who most likely would be more than happy to use them for crafts.

Our waste/recycle collector will accept the caps if they are ON the bottles/containers, but if they are off, I think the automatic separator separates them as trash. Check with your Township recycling person.

You can go to http://www.terracycle.com/ and sign up to mail your caps in. They will take anything from deodorant dispensers, to toothbrushes, to even cigarette butts. You can print a mailing label from the site, then you can get credits that you can redeem to help charities that you choose :D

I love Terracycle, but you have so many pounds of recyclables before you can mail them to them. It's best to ask your friends and family to also participate and then it's a win win for everyone.

Seems to me they could be great educational toys, for kids old enough to not put them in their mouths. They could count them, add and subtract them, and if you have an assortment, they could group them by color or size.

Anonymous

Google "buddy benches". We collect bottle caps @ work as part of a (university) campus-wide recycling initiative. Once we've collected 400 lb., we turn them over to a company that recycles them into benches &/or tables for schools. They take pop/water bottle caps, cottage cheese lids, laundry detergent lids, etc. Our building alone has collected almost 150 lb. in the past 6 months! The campus has already collected enough for our first bench, which has gone to the on-campus childcare center.

I wish you could provide a website where I could donate. I couldn't find any sites that has this kind of setup.

You would have to look for a site in your local area. You could try asking our members by submitting a question directly to them. They are unlikely going to notice this feedback on a years old question.

http://www2.thr  asso?share_id=11

Good luck, and let us know if you find one in your area and would like to share the location with us.

Anonymous

I use the water top to play bingo with my students.

Also to write vocabulary that they have to learn