Dog Chewing Things Other Than Toys

I have a year and a half old Dachshund and she is very spiteful. She is excellent for weeks alone in the bedroom when I leave and then she randomly chews something out of the blue when she has bones and toys all over the room to chew. What do I do? Please help me I need advice I am at my wits end.

By ron2011

Switching out toys and bones so she doesn't get bored with what she has is always a good idea. I've notices an increase in destruction for my dogs when they have a decrease in exercise! So walks and dog park could help.

And keep anything you don't want chewed on (shoes, etc) up and away from the dog. We close our closet and bedroom door, put the remote control for the tv up high and anything else the dogs could get out of reach. It's habit now!

A dog alone gets lonely and bored! Ever think about another pet? There are plently of dogs and cats in need of a home. Check your local shelter. I had the same problem until a friend gave me this advice. Now I have several dogs and cats and no destructive behavior. Everybody is much happier.

I have the big wire crates for my 2 inside labs. They love their houses! They sleep in their crates and stay there if I am gone from the house. It also is like a security blanket for them if they get scared. You can put them toys and something to sleep on and you do not have to worry about them tearing anything up when you are not there. The wire crates come in different sizes, so you can choose what size your dog needs.

First remember a dog is not a person. They do not get spiteful that would mean they could remember stuff and plan a way to get back at you. Dogs are animals and though they may look "guilty" they are responding to your body language not remembering what they did.

I would agree with crating over getting another dog. I have three dogs and do not crate them but I also realize on occasion that stuff gets ruined someone will eat stuff and at times there will be poop on the rug.

I would also recommend lots of exercise and training sessions to keep boredom away-take the dog to a basic obedience class so you can learn what is "normal" for doggies.

Dogs can't comprehend the word spiteful and why is she restricted to your bedroom? This is not the way to keep any animal if she can't have access to a backyard with shelter and water in your absence perhaps you should have considered this before having her. Forget about another Dog you will only have double trouble with two Dogs in restricted area.

Dogs are not spiteful. They are lonesome and bored.

Alone in the bedroom? Dogs are not spiteful, your dog is lonely & bored. Please walk her and give her time out in the fresh air, being locked in a room all day is bad for her. Change her toys and give her a lot of attention when you are home.

Hi Roni:

You might want to consider leaving the TV or the radio on for your little one. Dogs really do suffer when we leave them, they are so codependent. You might want to keep it on food network something like that so she is always hearing a human voice. It does help. I have a Rat Terrier and a Jack Russell and this does help when I have to leave. My rat terrier is the one who shreds toilet paper in the bathroom or chews on my shoes. It helps to close up the closet, leave the toys and an old shirt or pair of socks with your scent will help too. Just something to keep your dog thinking about you, in a good way! Hope this helps.

A dog in a crate
Dealing With a Dog That Chews
Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 18, 2011
Squirrel Chewing
Squirrels Chewing on Car Wiring
Dog Pulling on Rope and Tennis Ball Toy
Homemade Dog Toys
A couch chewed on by a dog.
Keeping Dogs from Chewing on Furniture
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum