Recycling Eyeglasses

I have a couple extra pairs of old glasses that I don't want to throw away. What would you suggest I do with them?

By Dawn from Denver, CO

Dawn, The Lyons Club takes your eyeglasses!

The Lyons Club collect and recycle eyeglasses for distribution in developing countries and treat millions of people to prevent river blindness.

Call 303-798-6351

I also have heard that you can drop your unneeded eyeglasses at any "Lens Crafters" and they will make sure that the Lyons Club will get them.

It is good to save an extra for backup in case your first pair breaks if you can still see with that RX. Or else donate the others: ... glass-recycling/how-you-can-help.php

Check with your doctor or optician and see if they will take your old prescriptions. I recently took about 4 pairs of glasses from our family to my doctor's office where they collect them for the Lion's Club.

Ditto on the lions club! I live in Sweden and wear glasses. I found a sort of a "mail box" to the Lions glasses donations at the local supermarket! Keep a look out, you might find one too!

I asked my mom for her old glasses too, and we even found my deceased grandmas old glasses. I ended up giving 10 pairs of glasses to lions! I also gave all the extra eyeglass cases I could find, I figured they could come in handy as well.

Feels good to get rid of clutter for charity!

Our local Wal-Mart Vision Center has a drop-off bin for used eyeglasses, which are donated to the Lions Club.

My bank has a box for the Lions Club. Maybe yours does too and you just never noticed. Check it out!

Our local library has a box by the check-out desk for donated glasses.

Recycling Eyeglasses
Better Living Charity AdviceJanuary 2, 2010
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Prescription Eyeglasses Sitting on Eye Chart
Saving Money on Prescription Eyeglasses
Reusing An Eyeglasses Case, Empty Eyeglass Case
Reusing An Eyeglasses Case
Cleaning eyeglasses with a cloth.
Cleaning Eyeglasses