Dogs Abandoned at Boarding Kennel

I run a boarding kennel and I had a client drop their dogs off to board. They are now a month over their departure date and I can't get hold of the owners.

The owners have done this before and left the dogs for 6 months the last time and when they finally returned they payed nothing for their stay. We were just happy the dogs went back to their owners. My question is what is the law regarding when I can find these dogs a new home. What is the time line?

By Jane from Oklahoma City

I take it that you don't have a signed agreement/contract? If not, I'm thinking you probably need to consult with an attorney. They probably think it's okay since they did it before without consequence. Or you might want to call some local animal rescues and see if they can offer any ideas. Second Chance Animal Sanctuary is in Norman (that's where we got one of our cats). Their phone number is 321-1915, maybe they can tell you who to ask. Best of luck. I hope the dogs get good (responsible!) owners soon.

I would think you could check with your local authorites (as well as an attormey) to see what constitues abandonment in your area. Frankly, people who would do this don't deserve to be pet owners. I wish you luck if you need to find them a good home.

You should have made these people pay a large deposit up front since they have done this before. I doubt they would have used your boardng kennel again in that case.

If they don't pay this time sue them. Next time don't take the dogs and now, call the authorities. Tell them when the owners said they would be back and if you can legally surrender them do so. This is terrible.

How sad these people think so little of their pets, never mind cheating hardworking people out of money due! Let this be a lesson, get a credit card up front, or a check for the stay which can be pre-dated. If they own a home, you probably can put a lien on it. This way if they go to sell, or take out a loan etc. This must be satisfied, paid, in order to go forward. Consult an attorney. Good luck. I must say you are a very good person to care for animals for such a long time without pay.

I would sue them since they did not pay you for your services. It is such a shame that the customers would just leave their dogs there and not pay you. I would contact the Humane Society and get their opinion on the situation. If you do sue them I hope you had them sign some sort of contract. The next time they come in request a credit card. I would also send them a bill for the stays they did not pay for; in case you go to court you can at least tell the judge you tried to get paid. I wish you the best of luck in your situation and hope everything works out.

Your city or county offices (start with the city you live in) most likely have an animal control department (like for licensing and animal complaints) and they should know for certain the laws which might save you money over hiring an attorney. Explain what you wrote here and make sure you ask them if the dogs can now be considered abandoned so you can put them up for adoption yourself so you know they will have a good home! Worse comes to worse and you can't adopt them out yourselves you most likely will be given permission to take them to a no kill shelter. Also, be sure you have the city or county code numbers for the laws that the department will supply you with to protect yourself legally from these nasty, abusive people!

Why do you even consider boarding animals belonging to people who had not paid you before. And you would be amazed at the number of Boarding Kennels that you pay when the animal is left at the Kennels. Regarding re-homing the present ones that have not been collected on due date. For what it's worth please talk to your Solicitor because the law "treads a thin line" I sincerely wish you good luck with this situation. Remember the old Latin phrase.

Buyer beware.

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceSeptember 1, 2010
A dog in a kennel at the pound.
Remedies for Kennel Cough
Dog in a cage being boarded.
Tips for Boarding Pets
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
Black dog with its tongue hanging out.
Saving Money On Boarding Your Pet