A Dollar a Year for Birthdays

When I first married my husband, his parents introduced me to a system they have used for their children ever since their first birthdays. Especially now, since they are all grown and out of state. On each one's birthday, instead of sending a package (which with postage now would cost a fortune), they enclose with the birthday card a check in the amount of $1 for each year of the recipient's age.

I thought this was a great idea and started doing it for my own children and grandchildren. Granted, as they get older, it does tend to get expensive (the month of Oct alone for my in-laws this year cost them close to $200!

Luckily our kids and grand kids are more spread out through the year) But my 12 year old granddaughter commented to me this year that she loves the idea. But this way the person is able to use the money however they want. And no returned gifts!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

My mother in law always did this. With 5 sons, 5 daughters in law and then the grandkids and great grandkids it was just easier for her. We always knew what we were getting and unless she got the years wrong (which happened once or twice lol) you knew how much you were going to get.

Great idea.

I've been doing this since my niece was born, 19 years ago, so now for all nieces and nephews I do the same. The best was when one of my nephews was 5, he said,"I can't wait until I'm 60, Aunty Toots. Then you'll give me 60 ones"! See ...it doesn't take a lot of money for a kid to be happy along with his aunt.

Parenting General ParentingOctober 29, 2009
middle aged man and family celebrating his birthday
Celebrating Milestone Birthdays
Birthday Reminder on Calendar
Remembering Birthdays
A man holding a dollar.
Shopping at Dollar Stores
Dollar Weed
Getting Rid of Dollar Weed