Quick Cooking Oatmeal

What is the difference between quick cooking oatmeal and old fashioned rolled oats? All of my recipes for oatmeal cookies say to use "quick cooking" oatmeal and all I have is a huge box of old-fashioned rolled oats, can I use that instead?

Paula from Christmas, MI

There is a recipe on the underside of the lid of my box of Quaker rolled oats for oatmeal cookies and my family loves them.

What I do is put the old fashioned oatmeal in my blender and chop it up more and I also have used the old fashioned oatmeal in place of the quick. Hope this helps!

You can use old fashioned oats in place of quick oats. Just run them a few seconds in your blender or food processor to chop them up a bit.

Harlean from Arkansas

Quick cooking is cut a little finer. You can accomplish the same thing by whirling your old fashioned oats in a food processor for a few seconds. You can do it a little longer than that and make it instant. The smaller the pieces, the quicker it cooks.

I use old fashioned oats all the time in my cookies, just as they come in the box, no need to chop or blend if you like the hardiness ...

I like the crispiness of them better.

Best wishes, GG Vi

I have an oatmeal cookie recipe that calls for oatmeal, I find it very vague but am assuming that it means the slow cooking kind. Can I use instant instead? How would this change the outcome of my cookies?

It was made possible by pre-cooking in manufacture after the oat grain had been split and rolled.

Oatmeal and Recipe Ingredients
Recipes Using Oatmeal
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceNovember 26, 2006
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal
Cooked Oatmeal
Freezing Cooked Oatmeal
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
oatmeal with strawberries and blueberries
Homemade Oatmeal Recipes
🎉
🎄