AdviceGardening

All of My Flowers are Dying

Is there a virus that flowers can get that kills them one after another in the same flower bed? Even the easiest to grow, hardiest summer flowers for Florida are dying one after another.

By Shirley T

I don't know about a virus, but I have a bed in the front of my house that won't grow anything - pansies, marigolds, begonias - nothing! I finally found out that there's a fungus in the soil that is virtually impossible to get rid of. Anything I planted would live for a few weeks, never really grow at all and then die.

My solutions was to cover the area with landscape fabric and river rock, then sit a few very large flower pots on top and plant the flowers there. The pots show up better from the street and I get lots of compliments on them.

I had three pots of flowers on my patio, that only gets partial sunlight. I used the regular potting soil for them. Two of the pots were inpatients which are supposed to be good shade/partial shade flowers. They were gone before the 4th of July. I also had a pot of small marigolds and last week they were completely gone too.

As soon as the soil felt dry I watered them. I have never had this happen before. I have half way decided next summer I will fill a couple pots with sand and stick silk flowers in them. The reason I would use sand is in case of hard rain, soil won't be splashing up getting the pretty flowers stained. lol